PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Baskettail dragonfly

Steve Maxson
12-29-2014, 03:20 PM
This emerging Baskettail dragonfly (Epitheca sp.) was photographed last June. This view shows its ventral side. You may notice a few red specks on its abdomen - these are parasitic mites that were originally on the nymphal exoskeleton and have transferred over to the adult dragonfly as it is emerging - so the freshly emerged adult will already have a load of parasites before it can even fly. 1D-IV, 100 mm macro, 1/160, f/16, ISO 100, lightbox studio, 2 radio-triggered 430 EXII flashes, tripod, live-view manual focus. The background is a print of OOF vegetation. I reduced saturation of the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Diane Miller
12-29-2014, 06:56 PM
The almost-symmetry here is beautiful to me, and detail and lighting are gorgeous. I hope you were able to carry off the discarded exoskeleton!

Norm Dulak
12-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Steve, this is a fascinating event that you have captured beautifully. But will those parasitic mites prove fatal to the dragonfly?

Steve Maxson
12-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the comments Diane and Norm.

Norm: After a bit of Google research - these are larval water mites that will feed on the dragonfly and also use it as a means of dispersal to new areas. When the dragonfly later returns to the water to reproduce, the now-engorged mites drop off into the water and continue their life cycle. While a few mites probably have little negative effect on the dragonfly, a heavy infestation can cause more serious problems and can impact reproduction and longevity. These mites are also commonly found on damselflies.

Norm Dulak
12-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Very interesting Steve. Thanks.

Jerry van Dijk
01-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Wonderful capture of this process Steve, no suggestions for further improvement.

shane shacaluga
01-02-2015, 03:58 AM
Wonderful image of nature at work. Do you carry a lightbox around with you or did you take the stalk and insect home?

Wouldnt change a thing on this one. Very nicely done

Steve Maxson
01-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks Jerry and Shane!

Shane: I live on a lake with a natural shoreline where a variety of dragonflies and damselflies emerge each year. Thus it is a simple matter to find subjects and transport them a few meters to the house (and lightbox) - and to return them to the wild after photographing them. :S3: