PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Merganser drake

Bill Dix
12-28-2014, 05:15 PM
This has been a nemesis bird for me. I've never been able to get close to them. But yesterday morning we found a group that was so focused on their courtship antics that they were oblivious when we crept up behind some shoreline vegetation and let them swim up to us. Caught this one in a take-off pose, and others in assorted display positions that I'll share in due course. C&C always appreciated.

D7000, 5oof4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 640, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual, gitzo and mongoose.

Carolyn Arnesen
12-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Congrats on getting this bird, Bill. This is beautiful. I like the low angle, comp., splash and detail. I can see a version with just a bit more on top. Well done.

Mike Poole
12-29-2014, 06:02 AM
Nice timing Bill, makes for a very interesting shot with all the action going on. I agree that a bit more negative space up top would be nice

Mike

Bill Dix
12-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks Carolyn and Mike. On my first effort at a crop, I left a lot more room at the top, as shown here. I decided some more foreground would give a better impression of a low POV, thus the crop shown in the OP, which I actually like better than the RP. But I may have overcompensated. Maybe somewhere in the middle of the two. I'm off on a family outing but will look at a third option when I have a chance.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Congratulations Bill! And a great capture at that. Nice takeoff full wings up position, and trailing splash. Prefer the OP.

Geoffrey

Daniel Cadieux
12-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Excellent pose and techs. The repost feels more balanced to my eye. Congrats on finally getting close to one...they are usually pretty skittish up here too.

keith mitchell
12-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Bill I go with the repost and is it my eyes? the repost looks a bit sharper and detailed, which ever it's a smashing action shot, love all those flying water droplets.

Keith.

dankearl
12-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Very nice photo of this skittish duck.
I think the duck could use a bit more saturation.
Love the water trail and the take off pose.

Bill Dix
12-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I finally got time to revisit, and here's a crop that is somewhere in between the OP and RP#1. Keith, I agree that RP#1 looks a bit sharper. Sharpening is the last thing I do, so each version is slightly different. Hopefully this RP#2 is just as sharp. Dan, I also added just a bit of Vibrance to the bird on this one.