PDA

View Full Version : Barn Swallow

Stephen Stephen
05-26-2008, 11:19 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds2/BarnSwallow08_02.jpg

I've been travelling for work for the past couple of weeks so I've not had much time for photography. I got out twice on the weekend and ended creating with my first keeper images of a Barn Swallow.

Canon 40D, Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm, F 8.0, ISO 400, 1/250. Handheld and cropped to about 60% of full frame. I chose not to use Fill Flash because I had spent over an hour waiting for these birds to land close to my vehicle which I was using as a blind. After all that time I didn't want to frighten them off.

I debated removing the large yellow and white blotches (blooming & ripe dandelions) but decided to leave them as I found them. I should have perhaps boosted the ISO and increased the DOF slightly as well but I'm still pleased to have my first keepers of this species.

Sid Overbey
05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Very nice capture. I like the bg a lot as well as the detail. Great looking coloration on this swallow. We have a boatload of swallows this year in our barn, and I have not seen any with that amount of white in the wings.

Stephen Stephen
05-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Thank you Sid. Actually I think that white feathers would normally by lying underneath the wings. The bird had been preening and had got some of its wing under the back/side feathers.

Gayle Clement
05-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Excellent detail in the wings, Stephen. I like the over-the-shoulder look and that green background.

Lana Hays
05-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Stephen
Well done with this one. I really like the colors and the amazing detail. A nice pose and pleasing BG which I personally like. This would be a keeper in my book, too.

Stephen Stephen
05-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks you Gayle and Lana. I'm happy with this image and several others in the series.

Daniel Cadieux
05-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Hey Stephen, gald you finally got to create some Barn Swallow images! You got a nice male here - lot's of detail, and perfect head turn!

Grady Weed
06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Nothing quite like a bird on a wire to me. Like everything about it.