PDA

View Full Version : Fast Wings

Walker Noe
12-25-2014, 10:48 AM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/15906397329_81cb5c4cb7_b.jpg

Here is an image of the hybrid hummingbird that has recently been in my yard. Too sunny for multiflash so I used just a bit of off camera fill. Unfortunately I do not have any more room top and bottom. . .

1/1000--ISO-500--f/8--300mm

Nikon D7100/Nikkor 300mm f4 on tripod.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Great flight image of this beautiful hummingbird, Walker. Excellent use of fill. Wonderful how you managed to capture all the iridescence and shades of color. Like the shape and color of the flower and green shoots. A couple of suggestions would be to remove the fill (second) catch light in the eye, and slightly tone down the two lighter areas in BG. Well done.

Geoffrey

Karl Egressy
12-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Nice colors and composition. I would have preferred trading f stop for shutter speed to get more definition of the wings. The body and head look great.

Daniel Cadieux
12-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Excellent IQ on the little hummingbird! Great details, appealing colours. The flower looks very good...I do wish there was more of it at right. If a setup I would go ahead and physically remove whatever causes the two beige spots in the BG for your subsequent images, or move the setup itself away from that. The rest of the BG looks very good with nice greens to it.

dankearl
12-26-2014, 08:12 PM
I like blurred wings on Hummingbirds.
The bird looks very nice, I agree with Daniel on the bright spots.
Overall, very nice image.,,,,

Norm Dulak
12-27-2014, 06:44 PM
A very pretty bird, well captured with the flower. I too, however, find the bright spots distracting. Although I like the blurred wings showing motion, a wing position showing fuller wings might have been better. But this is very nice as it is. And living in Maryland, I really envy your seeing hummingbirds this time of year!

Walker Noe
12-31-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Those two bright spots are actually pink hibiscus in the (natural) bg. I guess I could just pick them to remove then from the frame. I will try to tone them down, maybe saturate them a bit, and remove the flash catchlight. Regarding the wings, I went for the blur intentionally, I have U1 on my D7100 set for frozen wings (no multiflash) and U2 set for blurred wings. I don't have any with frozen wings and this good of HA and iridescence though. I will have to keep trying.

Walker