PDA

View Full Version : St. Francis of Assisi Church, Ranchos de Taos, NM

David Luery
12-24-2014, 05:52 PM
The well-known church, photographed by Ansel Adams and Paul Strand, and painted by Georgia O'Keeffe.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7485/15668126167_924b220942_o.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/41709201@N04/15668126167)

24-105mm at 35mm, 1/100, f/16, 200 ISO. Sepia tint. B&W conversion in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Diane Miller
12-27-2014, 11:59 PM
A classic building! What would you think about cropping from the bottom to remove the bright and dark areas?

The sky is lovely but I wonder how it would look with the blues a bit lighter so it competes with the building less. SEP gives you a lot of leeway in the tonalities of different colors -- might be worth some tweaking to see what happens.

David Luery
12-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi,

I think I understand what you are saying about the cropping, and I agree (unfortunately I can't figure out how to attach my revised image, even after reading the FAQ on attaching images to a post). I think you are suggesting cropping from the bottom up to, say, just above what might be called the downspout.

I also see your point regarding the sky. I am sorta, kinda 'addicted' to really dark skies, but I have tried what you suggested and I think it is better.

Thanks for your suggestions, both of which enhanced the image.

Best,

David

Diane Miller
12-28-2014, 10:47 AM
As a Participant instead of a Member, you have more limitations on how often you can start a new thread (once a week, I think). But you should be able to put an image in a reply here the same way you posted the original. Use the Go Advanced button at the bottom right of the reply box.

I love dramatic skies, too and do like this one. I tried giving a bit of a contrast boost to the building, with a soft mask in the center, and that makes the building hold up against the sky better. The crop from the bottom wasn't as much to my liking as I thought, but was better when I made a gradient burn at the bottom to give a little more weight to the base to the image.

Would love to see yours -- hope you don't mind my tossing out my thoughts here.

Diane Miller
12-28-2014, 10:50 AM
When I open your original I see the height is 1024 pixels. Maybe you are getting an error from that -- the max height is 900 (and 1200 wide). Not sure how you got the original to post at that size.

David Luery
12-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Hi Diane,

Here is what I came up with:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8663/15509026804_484ec46120_o.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/41709201@N04/15509026804)

As you can see, I followed you initial idea of reducing the contrast in the sky, but I think I like your contrasty rendition better than the subdued contrast. But your cropping suggestion definitely improves the image.

I am not sure if I am 'getting it' regarding inserting an image. As you will see, I am linking to Flickr. When I go to 'Go Advanced', clicking on the Insert Image icon only allows me to insert a URL, which is the URL for the image on Flickr. Is this correct?

Thanks for your suggestions. That's what I was hoping for.

Best,

David

Diane Miller
12-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Ah, the light comes on -- we can post a larger image by linking from Flickr or the like? Good to know!

I can't help with the posting issue, maybe somebody else can...

Geoffrey Montagu
12-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Like this image a great deal, David. I think your composition is spot on with great detail, and cloud scattered sky works brilliantly. Love the shadows. I do agree with Diane's suggestions, and her version including crop, I feel adds to the overall quality of your image. Well done.

Geoffrey

David Luery
12-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Thank you both for your comments and encouragement. I can't believe I didn't see that crop for myself. Such a simple thing that improves the image so greatly.

Best,

David

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi David, your repost in pane #6 works best for me. Nice scene!