PDA

View Full Version : Focus stacking

Valerio Tarone
12-23-2014, 12:55 PM
It's possible to do Focus stacking in the camera. Someone had experienced? Worst?

Jackie Schuknecht
12-28-2014, 08:46 AM
I asked the same question in the general photography forum. From what I have read, it is best to work tethered to a computer. Also work front to back, with basically the same increments. If you have the program DOF master, you can measure the distance to your subject and know what DOF you are getting from your chosen f-stop. Best to work in the sweet spot of the camera, 5.6 to around f11. I had success yesterday using Live View on fairly simple subjects and the put them through Helicon Focus. Many online videos, some not very good though.

Don Lacy
12-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Yes you can do it in camera chose your aperture focus on the closes area and work your way back. For the best results you need a sturdy tripod and change the focus manually. Make auger there is enough overlap between areas of focus much like you would do for a pano

Valerio Tarone
12-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Thank you Jackie and Don Lacy.

DickLudwig
12-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Yes you can do it in camera chose your aperture focus on the closes area and work your way back. For the best results you need a sturdy tripod and change the focus manually. Make auger there is enough overlap between areas of focus much like you would do for a pano
I would add to Don's info that a good Focusing Rail makes getting good focus stacks much easier. If you start with the closest part of your subject make sure that you leave a little extra area around your subject. I have found that when the software stacks all the images you lose some border area due to cropping. The software that works best for me is Zerene Stacker http://zerenesystems.com/stacker/