PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick pilings revisited

Bob Smith
12-22-2014, 03:03 PM
One more view of my favourite scene to photograph--it has, of course, a million versions--this is but one more of them, this time taken from water level and a little later in the evening and a little closer. The pilings once supported a huge barn-like salmon fishing and processing plant in the late 1800's, which by the time I found it in 1965 was being used as a water fowling base camp. It was torn down in 1972.
5D MIII,70-300 f/4-5.6 @221mm, -0.5 EV,ISO400,f4.5,1/90,Ap,

Diane Miller
12-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Lovely subtle colors, and nice to see a lower vantage point. I'm wondering about taking a machete (virtual or otherwise) to the OOF stuff along the bottom. One thing to watch is merges -- in this case the tops of the pilings almost touching the horizon. Would be nice to get lower so they extend above, into the distant mountains.

I appreciate the very nice straight and level horizon, and the lone bird.

I'm not sure I would underexpose the average landscape scene, especially in soft light -- I prefer to overexpose where possible (without blowing out highlights) and bring exposure down in processing. That minimizes noise, although at this size I don't see any -- just a generalization.

Morkel Erasmus
12-30-2014, 04:05 PM
I can appreciate your connection with these pilings, Bob. As a foreground element in this particular frame it doesn't excite me though. I am much more interested in the distant mountains, the soft moody light and the lone flying bird. Perhaps if you could have framed the pilings to be more distinct/separated it would have helped?

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi Bob, these pilings do present numerous possibilities for compositions. In this scene I am not in favor of the large amount of black along the lower left side of the comp. My personal preference would be to use only a few of the pilings in the comp and make sure they do not merge with any other elements in the scene. Looking forward to seeing more from this location!

Bob Smith
01-03-2015, 03:49 PM
So, finally Xmas is done and the kids and Grandkids gone home. It's been hectic for sure. Thanks for the good advice here on this image. I am learning that it has more challenges than I thought . It's clear that the black triangle of marsh in the LLC needs to be dealt with somehow, either by eliminating it or at least minimizing it. I mostly shoot this view at dusk so getting it as a well exposed aspect is pretty much out. The mountains on the other side of the Gulf do have a lot of layering potential Morkel, although the best views of that don't allow inclusion of the pilings ( I'll watch for opportunities to do so though). I'll post one of those in another thread and will also look for some shots using fewer pilings and less LLC marsh. I use this area for experimenting---I'm very much in the beginning of learning to use a camera---and the whole PP thing.