PDA

View Full Version : Glen Falls - North Carolina

andresleon
12-22-2014, 10:43 AM
This image was made late in the day so I had to take a couple of different exposures and blend them with PS to create the right balance of light and color. Now that I see it, i realized that I missed two very ugly dust bunnies from the bottom part of the waterfall. I will be correcting that this afternoon when I get home and have access to the original file :)

exposure: 3.2 sec - for waterfall; 1/200 for the sky and foliage.
iso: 100
focal length: 16mm
aperture f/18
lens: canon 16-35L

Used lightroom to remove noise and adjust sharpness, saturation and contrast a little.

andresleon
12-22-2014, 11:16 PM
After playing with this image a bit more I thought the colors were a little too warm... So I used Nik's software to work on the white balance and tonality a little as well as reduce the brightness on the upper foliage.

It would be wonderful to see your comments and preferences between the two versions :)

Diane Miller
12-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Lovely composition of a very nice scene. I'd almost go in between the two for color. But why not do those modifications in raw conversion, where you have so much tonal overhead to work with? Lightroom is more than up to handing that.

Otherwise, the sky looks a little dark (or maybe saturated) compared to the trees adjacent. If you used Vibrance, it will often punch up blues in a sky too much.

Morkel Erasmus
12-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Nice scene Andres - my initial thought was also that it's probably ideal somewhere between the 2 versions.
I do hope you got some with softer light as well?

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2014, 03:58 PM
Lovely waterfall Andres, I do agree with both Diane and Morkel. My preference here would be for more even lighting, such as over-cast conditions. Look forward to seeing more from this waterfall...did you get any from the exposed rock mid-stream?