PDA

View Full Version : Greece permission

Gyorgy Szimuly
05-26-2008, 07:58 AM
I am going to spend my holiday with my children in Greece this year. As we are staying along the Olympic Riviera I thought to visit the Axios, Loudias, and Aliakmon estuaries and the huge salt pans system around. Other choice is the Alyki Kitros lagoon south of Methoni. Does any has an idea if permission needed to enter the estuary of Axios, Loudias, and Aliakmon or the lagoons? Any other birding and photographic site recommended?

Szimi

Theodoros Naziridis
05-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi Szimi,
Axios, Loudias and Aliakmon Delta is a huge area. Permission is not needed to ender the area. You can contact the Management Authority of the park at wicaxios@otenet.gr tel 0030 2310794811. They based in the town of Chalastra. You can enter the eastern part of the area from that town. You can check also the lagoons of Kalochori (the most eastern part of the Delta) for terns and waders.
Other interesting sites are Alyki Kitros (as you mention), and the small lagoons east of Thessaloniki (few Kilometers from the airport), lagoon of Epanomi and Alyki (salt works) of Agelochori (from the names of the nearby villages). If you have time, you can visit also our area (lake Kerkini) that is 1,5 hours driving from Thessaloniki. You can check the following address www.lake-kerkini.earthlife.net (http://www.lake-kerkini.earthlife.net/) for info about the area.
If you finally decide to come to Kerkini let me know it by send me an e-mail (or if you need more info for the area).
Theodoros Naziridis

Manos Papadomanolakis
05-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Szimi,
Axios, Loudias and Aliakmon Delta is a huge area. Permission is not needed to ender the area. You can contact the Management Authority of the park at wicaxios@otenet.gr tel 0030 2310794811. They based in the town of Chalastra. You can enter the eastern part of the area from that town. You can check also the lagoons of Kalochori (the most eastern part of the Delta) for terns and waders.
Other interesting sites are Alyki Kitros (as you mention), and the small lagoons east of Thessaloniki (few Kilometers from the airport), lagoon of Epanomi and Alyki (salt works) of Agelochori (from the names of the nearby villages). If you have time, you can visit also our area (lake Kerkini) that is 1,5 hours driving from Thessaloniki. You can check the following address www.lake-kerkini.earthlife.net (http://www.lake-kerkini.earthlife.net/) for info about the area.
If you finally decide to come to Kerkini let me know it by send me an e-mail (or if you need more info for the area).
Theodoros Naziridis

Καλώς ηρθες στην παρέα μας πατριώτη!!!
Welcome Theodoros!

Gyorgy Szimuly
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Great :) Many thanks for the info. I will contact you when I am close to the trip in mid July :)

Szimi

Gyorgy Szimuly
05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
One more question. Any 100% place for Eurasian Oystercatcher in Greece around the given coastline?

Szimi

Theodoros Naziridis
05-30-2008, 11:05 AM
You can see them in Axios Delta and Kalochori lagoon, probably also in Alyki Kitros but I am not quite sure for the latter.

Gyorgy Szimuly
05-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks Dude :)

Szimi