PDA

View Full Version : 7D II vs 5D III image files

Simon Wantling
12-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Hi, there may be a technical reason but when I view 7D II images in DPP 4 they don't seem as sharp as similar files from the 5D III when viewed at 100%. I've captured images on a 600mm F4 II and 1.4x III and 5D files look much sharper.

is it because of the nature of the 7D files or is there another reason?

ive still not nailed a BIF shot yet on the 7D II but can nail everyone on the 5D. Any ideas?

arash_hazeghi
12-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Yes, the files from the cameras with small pixels are softer than those with larger pixels when viewed at 100% for a number of reasons. The quality of the low-pass filter on the 7D2 is also not as good as higher end bodies.

Don Thompson
12-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Yes, the files from the cameras with small pixels are softer than those with larger pixels when viewed at 100% for a number of reasons.

So any way to overcome, or are we, users of the Mk II, just stuck with softer photos?

arash_hazeghi
12-21-2014, 12:18 AM
So any way to overcome, or are we, users of the Mk II, just stuck with softer photos?

When you view them at 100% it will always look a bit softer and less crisp, no matter what you do but if you are shooting from the same distance you do get more pixels on the subject so you can down sample the image and make it looks sharp by sharpening....

Don Thompson
12-22-2014, 09:28 PM
When you view them at 100% it will always look a bit softer and less crisp, no matter what you do but if you are shooting from the same distance you do get more pixels on the subject so you can down sample the image and make it looks sharp by sharpening....

It's becoming obvious to me that I need to upgrade my processing skills along with a camera upgrade. Any suggestions for where to start with reading to help with that? I am considering switching to DPP for processing. If I do, then I will invest in you and Artie's guide for that. But processing in general, any suggestions.

Thanks

arash_hazeghi
12-22-2014, 11:23 PM
It's becoming obvious to me that I need to upgrade my processing skills along with a camera upgrade. Any suggestions for where to start with reading to help with that? I am considering switching to DPP for processing. If I do, then I will invest in you and Artie's guide for that. But processing in general, any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Don,

The most critical step in post processing is the RAW conversion. If you can generate a clean, sharp TIFF file, your work after that is easy. In my (and Artie's ;) opinion, the best way to arrive at this result is DPP4.After conversion, I typically put the bird on a separate layer, then clean up the BG if needed then use bi-cubic down-sample in PS and finally apply gentle smart sharpening to the bird only

best,
Arash