PDA

View Full Version : One-talon Capture

Norm Dulak
12-19-2014, 08:45 AM
D7000 w/Tamron 150-600mm lens @ 600mm, tripod mounted
ISO equivalent 1600; f/6.3, 1/500 sec; MM +0.33
Topaz DeNoise; standard CS6 adjustments; crop

Bald Eagle activity was fast and furious recently, at the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River. This image was captured at Fisherman's Park, below the dam.

All comments and suggestions are as always welcome.

Norm

Bill Jobes
12-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Nice one, Norm. Fine wing turn and extended prey. I agree on the action. Monday was outstanding.

Doug Brown
12-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Nice one-handed grab! Image quality could be better though. This was a situation where you either crank up the ISO or go home; 1/500 is simply not fast enough to capture the action you were focused on. Also, even though it was overcast, there is a definite light angle from behind the bird. I would lighten the head a bit.

Norm Dulak
12-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Nice one-handed grab! Image quality could be better though. This was a situation where you either crank up the ISO or go home; 1/500 is simply not fast enough to capture the action you were focused on. Also, even though it was overcast, there is a definite light angle from behind the bird. I would lighten the head a bit.

Thanks, Doug, for both of your suggestions!

I absolutely agree about the shutter speed issue. For my D7000 though, the ISO 1600 I used was really pushing the envelop; noise was a definite problem. So I really could go no higher.

Better light would be the solution, although hazy bright would definitely be best. With really strong light, retaining feather definition in both the white and dark areas in these birds is tough. But you know, these magnificent birds are worth the effort to keep on trying to capture them in all their glory.