PDA

View Full Version : Cadillac Mountain Sunset

Lyle Gruby
12-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Shot this from just below the peak of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia NP. The peak was actually socked in with fog and you wouldn't have been able to see any of this sunset. The was the clearing of a storm that caused my trip to see the puffins to get cancelled, so I guess I got a little revenge on the storm! This is multiple shots hand-blended (I blended this in June, so I don't remember which method I used), cloned out a few people, and cleaned up a few other things along the way. I calibrated my monitor today, so I hope my exposure is right as I left some of the scene dark. Turns out that my monitor was WAY out of calibration as I'd feared after your comments yesterday! All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3S
16-35mm f4 lens
22mm
f/16
ISO 100

Don Railton
12-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Hi Lyle,

Unfortunately, I don't think your colour problems are over... I think the colour in this is out as well with the FG rock showing patches of blue and red (I presume were grey/black) and it just does not look right.... I suggest you look at it on another monitor because I think something has gone wrong in the calibration..

Regards

DON

Lyle Gruby
12-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Don, a lot of that is the color of the lichen on that particular piece of the mountain. It was covered in it and the rock also reflected the colors in the sky. Here's re-post where I added some green in via the channel mixer that I think helps the FG.

Dave Mills
12-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi Lyle, Ilike the repost which looks a bit more natural. There is red lichen,especially in the fall when it turns a bright red. If this was mine I would have the sun a bit offset.

Lyle Gruby
12-19-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm going for a re-do on this one. I looked back at my RAW files and the pinks and blues got way out of control on me. I re-worked this completely. This is a double process of a single RAW file, hand-blended using Mark Metternich's method, and I cropped in from the right. The lichen is still being lit up by the sun and reflecting the pinks in the sky. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Please keep it coming.

Diane Miller
12-19-2014, 07:16 PM
I love the light on the FG rocks! I'd darken the sky quite a bit but be careful about the blue. The starburst shows better here.

I think the main issue we all have is calibrating our own color perception.

Don Lacy
12-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I love the ground in the last repost just the right amount of light on it. My main issue is with the sky especially blown pixels around the sun and along the ridge line. for a sun burst image like this you really need to blend three image one for the foreground one for the sky and one for just the star burst to minimize the araes without detila.

Don Railton
12-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Hi lyle. I like the 3rd post the best. Colours look more natural to me. I have to admit that Red lichen is something I have not seen very often, so maybe some of the colour issues I had were just my problem... Thanks for persisting...

Regards
Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Hi Lyle, I like the final repost best...I agree with Don on the blown pixels in the sky. For scenes such as this I always use my Singh-Ray 3-stop Reverse Grad to hold back the sun when it is right on the horizon.