PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise on the marshes

David Cowling
12-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Image taken at Thurne, Norfolk Broads National Park. UK. It was a cold morning and there is a light frost on the grass.

Panasonic GF1. Panasonic 14-45 lens at 14mm. 4secs @ f 11, ISO100
RAW developed in Photoshop CS6

Don Railton
12-18-2014, 04:55 AM
This is sweet David... beautiful pastel colours, nicely composed, good detail, nice lead up to the mill... Well done. I would have preferred you either stepped to the right 1/2 a step or pushed the gate open a little more so the top of the gate did not partially cover the path as this is the leading line into the image and I think best that line is clean... I also don't like the roofline/chimneys LHS skyline, although that's nit picking... but an easy fix here if you choose..

thanks for showing

DON

David Cowling
12-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Thanks Don. Yes I realised about the gate as soon as I put it on the computer. It is a spring loaded gate which shuts automaticly and I had to prop it open with a folded monopod which I cloned out. I guess it must have closed a little while I was setting up. I suppose I could clone the gate out altogether but we then get into the muddy waters of photographic integrity, but I suppose I already crossed that line by cloning out the monopod!!

Diane Miller
12-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Gorgeous frost and lovely pastel colors and I like that the line of the path is echoed by that of the canal. I don't mind the gate half-open but it would be interesting to see a version with it completely open. No integrity issue for me in cloning out the monopod!

The horizon appears to be a little low on the left. To keep the gate posts reasonably vertical it might take some distortion rather than just rotation. We often don't realize how much a lens, especially a zoom, can distort a scene.

Andrew McLachlan
12-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Hi David, my favorite of your images from this location so far...lovely pastel tones as well...good suggestions given by Don and Diane already.

Lyle Gruby
12-18-2014, 08:06 PM
The colors here are very nice. I think Don is right that the gate being slightly more open would allow a little easier visual progression through the scene. I personally would have taken a step to right to move the bigger windmill further to the left in the scene. I like the comp., but I think it could be improved if you cropped in a little from the left to just past that first fence post to focus the viewer a little more. Looking forward to more.

Dave Mills
12-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi David, IMO the gate is open wide enough to get a good view of the trail beyond it. Technically I feel you did a good job. This image could be made into a variety of comps. A strong comp would of been just targeting the gate on the left with the path leading to the lighthouse.

Don Lacy
12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
lovely image the pastels color are beautiful

David Cowling
12-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Thanks to all for the interest shown in this image and for the useful critique. I have made alterations to the image as suggested by -
Don- Roof lines and chimneys.
Diane- Horizon
Lyle- Tightened up on the crop.

I like this crop as it seems to make the fact that the gate is not open enough not quite so obvious.
I have also carried out a little dodging on the foreground to bring out the frosted grass a little.