18mm
F11
ISO 100
180th sec
HH

Your thoughts please...Terry Johnson:S3:

Don Railton
12-18-2014, 02:11 AM
Only had time for a quick look Terry, but I would crop the path from the LHS (well as much as I could without cutting into the lake), and a slither of the top to just above the trees and then add a bit of contrast in the mid tones..

DON

Don Railton
12-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Hi Terry, this is what I was thinking...

David Cowling
12-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Much better with the crop. Nice and sharp with good colours and the composition is spot on. I feel that it is a shame that the stored boats on the rack are such a bright red as they draw the eye, whereas I would have preferred it if the focal point had been the figure in the rowing boat to provide human interest

Geoffrey Montagu
12-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Beautiful scene well captured, Terry. Excellent tonal levels. One small nit, but not a deal breaker is the white fringe on some edges of mountains especially Mt. on LHS.

Geoffrey

Diane Miller
12-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Lovely pastoral scene. Great light on the trees on the left, and on the water. Would be nice to try to get rid of the path. Did you try different compositions from slightly different positions? Moving a few feet can often make a big difference.

I do like that Don removed the blue patch in the UR -- could also be done with cloning.

Andrew McLachlan
12-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Hi Terry, a nice scene...Don's crop takes care of my suggestion to evict the road...I would actually prefer to see a version where you may have zoomed in much tighter so that the mountains would be towering over the boathouse...any chance you grabbed a couple like that?

Lyle Gruby
12-18-2014, 08:11 PM
The crop definitely helped, but this is screaming to go B&W to me. Here is a very quick version where I just manually desaturated it in PS and added some contrast. The conversion could be much better with Silver Efex Pro or some other program. See what you think:

Dave Mills
12-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi Terry, I like the cropping best in the first repost. IMO the color version has more appeal.

David Cowling
12-19-2014, 11:34 AM
That's it, Now instead of my eye being taken by the red boats it goes straight to the figure in the boat which is a much more interesting focal point. I would be inclined to clone out the lettering on the boathouse roof but you may not feel comfortable with that. As Lyle has mentioned, a good conversion using Silver Effex or other, and some dodging and burning could turn this into a lovely image because the foundations are already there.

Diane Miller
12-20-2014, 06:39 PM
I don't find the red boats distracting but it would be easy to make them gray...

Terry Johnson
12-29-2014, 12:17 AM
Thank you all for your feedback. I will make the crop without the footpath and will replace or tone down the red color on the canoes...Terry Johnson