PDA

View Full Version : 'X' Marks The Spot

Andrew McLachlan
12-17-2014, 08:27 PM
While photographing autumn color in October along the Skeleton River at Hatchery Falls in Ontario's famous Muskoka Region I was drawn to the the "chaos" created by these two fallen cedar trees...tried making sense of the chaos by incorporating the 'X' into the comp . I played around with a few variations in compositions, but liked this one best that was created using my 15mm fisheye lens.

Nikon D800
Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX DG Fisheye Lens
ISO 100
f16 @ 1 second

Look forward to comments.

andresleon
12-17-2014, 10:14 PM
I really like the high contrast and detail extraction methods you've used to bring energy into the image. The texture of the water gives it a really dynamic and almost violent feel to the image. Don't have much to add other than wow! :)

Don Railton
12-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Hi Andrew.. This is a busy little scene but its very unique and I really love that about it... I especially love the roots RHS mid frame and the water texture. To go further with that I might have cropped a little off the top and added a little to the bottom and maybe to the right if that available.. just a little though so the roots are not cramped and the waters edge is visible...

DON

David Cowling
12-18-2014, 03:17 AM
Very clever composition and the black and white conversion suits the subject very well by leaving the viewer to concentrate on the details instead of the colours. A well thought out image. Thanks for sharing.

subramanya_ck
12-18-2014, 10:17 AM
WOw, what a feel in this image. Lovely art work sir

Diane Miller
12-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Great use of the crazy curvatures of a fisheye. I love the processing -- just Structure, or tone mappng?

Andrew McLachlan
12-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks folks for the comments...much appreciated!

Don...if I pointed the fisheye lens any lowerthe tripod legs and my hip waders would be visible :S3:

Diane...yes, a little structure and also a touch of Detail Extractor...I think I used the 'Wet Rocks' preset in Silver Effects as the starting point.

Lyle Gruby
12-18-2014, 08:17 PM
This is intense. The thumbnail was pretty misleading. This is a very creative comp. and the aggressive processing compliments the comp. well. It is difficult to coax a cohesive comp. out of a busy scene like this, which is something I really struggle with so I can really appreciate this.

Luis Patacao
12-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Andrew, very creative shot, good composition with a wonderful water texture and general detail. Did you try other processing aproaches? I believe that with the blacks more "present" in the image that could be a plus.

Don Lacy
12-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Wonderful conversion Andrew the wet rocks is usually my starting point. I also comp its busy but settles once you look at it a very enjoyable image

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks Don, Luis, and Lyle for the additional comments, they are much appreciated!