PDA

View Full Version : Monument Cove

Lyle Gruby
12-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Hi all,

Been a long time since I posted. Went back to school which took up every second of free time last semester. I have a break now, so I'll try to post several shots. This is from Monument Cove in Acadia National Park from this past June. I only got one dramatic sky during my time in Acadia, but I got up every day and watched the sun rise anyway. The scenery is still fantastic and the early morning sky does give some pretty colors even when there are no clouds to add to the scene.

Techs:
D3S
16-36mm f4 @ 16mm
ISO 100
f/22
14 seconds

This shot was made about 4:25 AM. This is only 1 shot. All C&C welcome.

andresleon
12-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Wonderful composition. Really like that you put the horizon line above the half way point and gave the rocks importance on the foreground. The sunrise colors are also really nicely captured. My only suggestion would be to try to increase the exposure on the same foreground rocks so more detail can be seen, specially on the left side rock that has the scar. Increasing the brightness and detail would really make this image pop in my opinion. I'm not sure if you can really do much to fix the middle area rocks that are underexposed. It's a very nice capture overall!

Andrew McLachlan
12-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Great comp here Lyle. I love, love, love the foreground boulders. I think you could lighten them a touch and do think you could probably bring out some detail in the darker shadowed areas so they are not quite so dark. Looking forward to seeing more of your recent images...we have missed your compositions. You are definitely doing the right thing by heading out for sunrise each time regardless...that's how you catch the nice ones...even if it is raining I will still head out in hopes that there may be a break and I nice sunrise will present itself...could be wishful thinking though :S3:

Don Railton
12-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Hi Lyle,

Welcome back, I too loooovvvve those FG boulders.. I agree it is all a little dark and while I understand its before dawn a little more detail will lift this image further IMHO...

DON

Lyle Gruby
12-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Well, it appears I really need to calibrate my monitor. Just saw this on another screen and it is much darker than on my screen I regularly use for editing. I haven't calibrated in a while, so that makes sense. Definitely agree with the above comments, my file has a little detail in the rocks on the left and the whole scene is a little brighter. Thanks all for the feedback.

Diane Miller
12-18-2014, 01:12 PM
You found a very pleasing composition and I love the beautiful soft colors here! I'd also vote for a little more detail in the mid-ground rocks, and would remove the sliver of a lighter rock at the bottom edge.

Is your monitor one of the ones that changes in brightness as you tilt it (or move your head) up and down? If so, be sure to keep your line of sight at 90 degrees to the screen. That's easy to overlook.

Don Lacy
12-19-2014, 08:07 PM
I echo everything Diane said just a few tweaks and it will come together nicely.