PDA

View Full Version : Merlin prior to lift-off

Glenn Conlan
12-15-2014, 06:55 PM
This is the same Merlin that Arash has posted such remarkable images. She is still giving us unreal opportunities for great shots. This day Dave and I were joined by Loi who was fortunate to experience this very approachable bullet. This is the frame just before lift-off. I wish the head angle was a bit towards me, but it shows her focus towards the pursuit of a dragonfly. Shot from our car and not a very big crop we were very close. Thanks for all your helpful comments

D4 600mm no TC
1/3200 sec
F6.3
ISO 800

gail bisson
12-15-2014, 08:33 PM
The BG colors are so pretty.
The light, IQ and pose are topnotch as well.
I have to agree with you that it would have been an even stronger image if he had been looking a bit more towards you.
Why are you guys not setting up better perches in this area? (This is not a criticism but an honest question!) The birds seem to be very reliable and habituated to the truck so why not try to get them to land on a pretty perch?
Enquiring minds want to know!:w3
gail

Loi Nguyen
12-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi Glenn, you beat me to it :). You didn't mention that this shot was taken at around noon, so the light was pretty strong. You handled the light very well and had a good BG. Agreed that the head angle wasn't ideal and I would have liked to see a wing up, but I'm sure you will have more chance to get it. TFS. Loi

Glenn Conlan
12-15-2014, 09:04 PM
The BG colors are so pretty.
The light, IQ and pose are topnotch as well.
I have to agree with you that it would have been an even stronger image if he had been looking a bit more towards you.
Why are you guys not setting up better perches in this area? (This is not a criticism but an honest question!) The birds seem to be very reliable and habituated to the truck so why not try to get them to land on a pretty perch?
Enquiring minds want to know!:w3
gail

We have set up nicer perches but we haven't trained her yet to land on them on command (Ha, Ha). In this area there is a long fence line along the road that attracks her landing and competes with our planted perches. Fence posts are a very natural perch for these little raptors. Thanks for your comments Gail, please visit us someday.:S3:

Glenn

Glenn Conlan
12-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi Glenn, you beat me to it :). You didn't mention that this shot was taken at around noon, so the light was pretty strong. You handled the light very well and had a good BG. Agreed that the head angle wasn't ideal and I would have liked to see a wing up, but I'm sure you will have more chance to get it. TFS. Loi

Great shooting with you Loi, thanks again for lunch. The next frame from this sequence is possibly better for wing position but the head angle is the same. I will post it another day.

Glenn

gail bisson
12-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks Glenn. Time to start training these birds then!! Would love to visit someday.
Gail

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Despite the birdīs head not being ideal, I love the nice details and IQ you got from this one! The nice clean BG also makes the eye go stright to the bird. It sounds like you guys had some fun! :)

David Salem
12-17-2014, 02:06 AM
Great details and a killer pose Glenn. Not looking at us but still a cool looking frame. See ya in a few days.