PDA

View Full Version : Flatey, Brei∂afjör∂ur

Geoffrey Montagu
12-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Back in June of 2012 I was on this picturesque island located in the northwest part of Iceland photographing several species of birds. Moments before this image was captured I was photographing a Black Guillemot, a beautiful bird nesting here. As I turned looking for better footing, I did a double take of this scene. C&C welcome.

D3s, Nikon 16mm, 1/1250, f 9.0, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head

Converted to BW with NIK Silver Efex Pro 2.

Geoffrey

Don Railton
12-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Hello Geoffrey

Wonderful sky and composition..! Very dramatic and nicely converted. My only nits are there a 3 dust bunnies in the clouds and more importantly, the FG grass looks crunchy. Not sure why, maybe the grass was moving, the water and the cloud indicate wind, or maybe F9 was just not quite enough DOF and you selectively sharpened the FG.. I am sure you know.. Well done..

DON

Geoffrey Montagu
12-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Hello Geoffrey

Wonderful sky and composition..! Very dramatic and nicely converted. My only nits are there a 3 dust bunnies in the clouds and more importantly, the FG grass looks crunchy. Not sure why, maybe the grass was moving, the water and the cloud indicate wind, or maybe F9 was just not quite enough DOF and you selectively sharpened the FG.. I am sure you know.. Well done..

DON
Thank you Don for pointing out the 3 dust bunnies. I inadvertently posted the wrong frame. To be sure I looked at a print of this image and their are no dust bunnies. That's an extremely coarse type of grass. No selective sharpening.

Geoffrey

Morkel Erasmus
12-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Nice scene here, and monochrome was a good call - though I'd be interested to see a version that has the grass a lighter tone to separate it from the rocky beach some more?
I think total contrast can be deeper - blacker blacks and whiter whites?
Is it an optical illusion or is the horizon slanted?

Andrew McLachlan
12-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Hi Geoffrey, nicely composed and do love the clouds through the sky. I would also like to see the blacks blacker.

Lyle Gruby
12-17-2014, 06:24 PM
I also really like the comp and scene here. I don't really have anything to add critique-wise as dust spots and darker tones have been mentioned.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Nice scene here, and monochrome was a good call - though I'd be interested to see a version that has the grass a lighter tone to separate it from the rocky beach some more?
I think total contrast can be deeper - blacker blacks and whiter whites?
Is it an optical illusion or is the horizon slanted?

Thanks Morkel. I feel if the grass was lighter it possibly would draw ones attention down. I did adjust the tonal quality in the original which I meant to post. Below is repost.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Montagu
12-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey147652

Geoffrey Montagu
12-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks Morkel. I feel if the grass was lighter it possibly would draw ones attention down. I did adjust the tonal quality in the original which I meant to post. Below is repost.

Geoffrey

In answer to your question Morkel, I'm fairly sure it's an optical illusion maybe due to the diagonal mainland coast, and the bit of slope to land RHS.

Geoffrey