PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Cicada

John Cooper
05-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Posted a similar image some months ago but the cicada then had extracted itself and was hanging onto its shell.
This image is an earlier stage where the adult cicada is still in the progress of emerging from the nymph stage.

Canon EOS 5, Canon 100 macro, ISO 100, Flash x2 (Nocturnal event), F22, Tripod.

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey John,
Very well handled as usual......just enough detail in the BG for my tastes.........maybe a hair bright on the upper left tree...........but I love the translusence of the wings before they completely unfurled. I'm looking forward to our arrivals in a few weeks. Very nicely done!

Vincent Grafhorst
05-26-2008, 01:07 PM
What an amazing photo John. I have never seen one of these with my own eyes, but the wing looks unrealistically bright in relation to the body (probably due to the flash), yet that is also an attractive feature of this photo in a way...

Ramon M. Casares
05-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I have wanted to take this picture for so long but I have never found these guys when they emerge!! Congratulations, I love the lightning!

Robert O'Toole
05-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Great image John, to me the second flash looks like moonlight! Great sharpness and the exposure is right on!

Do you know what Cicade it is, the green colors are interesting.

Robert

John Cooper
05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Great image John, to me the second flash looks like moonlight! Great sharpness and the exposure is right on!

Do you know what Cicade it is, the green colors are interesting.

Robert

Thanks for all the comments - Robert this is a common species here known as the Black Prince (common name). When it has dried out and ready for flight this adult cicada is entirely black (losing all the Blue/green coloration shown here).

Steve Wheeler
05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Outstanding image in every way for me. Love the iridescent wings and the 2nd flash "Moon light" knocks it right out of the park!

Very well done indeed... I wanna take pictures like this when I grow up.

Steve

Bob Allen
06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Awesome natural history image! There are a lot of cyan patches on the tree, this puzzles me. You might bring it up in PS and tone down the cyans.