PDA

View Full Version : Turret Arch Through North Window

Don Lacy
12-12-2014, 11:53 PM
If you are going to Arches NP there are certain images that are iconic and since this was my first time there I wanted to get some of them into my portfolio and Turret Arch through North Window is one of those images. In order to get this image you have to climb up the side of an outcrop of rock about 50ft off the ground to a small platform that holds at most three people now there is a better angle if your willing to climb up another 5ft and balance on a boulder that will barely fit a tripod. I thought about it but didn't think it was worth the effort and danger only later did I find out from another photographer that the angle from there was the best view.

This is a two image blend using luminosity mask images were made with a Canon 6D and 16-35 f/4, both images were shot at f/11 with one at 1/20s and the other at 1/80s, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 200, image was processed using my now standard work flow for these images including curves with luminosity mask separate dodge and burn layers, a dash of tonal contrast here and there. I am pretty sure there are no sharpening halos but I will let Dan make the finale call on that:S3: now there is a slight halo on the underside of the arch but thats a a contrast halo thats in the Raw file. Not sure how many here have tried metal prints but I just received a 30" print of my Mesa Arch image and it is amazing full of depth and detail these South West landscapes really pop off of these prints.

Don Railton
12-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Hi Don

I love this.. The blue sky against the bright orange is brilliant..literally.. I also like that you have lots of detail in the FG which lead up to the view of the 2nd (Turrent?) arch beautifully placed in the frame. I have no nits, no dust spots or halos, although I suspect there maybe one above your head.. and thanks for the opportunity to view the image.

regards

DON

Luis Patacao
12-15-2014, 06:03 PM
I would love to visit this place.. maybe one day :) Aldo the composition seems a bit centered for me, i totally agree with Don on the bright orange vs blue sky, and the detail on the rocks is a must!

Morkel Erasmus
12-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Fabulous composition of a classic shot, great light and details here - nothing to crit from my end. Enjoyed viewing!
:5 :cheers:

Andrew McLachlan
12-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Very nice Don...I would not change a thing...stellar work!!!

Diane Miller
12-16-2014, 11:23 PM
Gorgeous! I've only made it to this particular spot once and it was semi-cloudy at sunrise -- but still worth the trip. I also decided to not scramble over that last rock to balance on the "egg" -- it's a long way down if you slip.

You got awesome color and tonalities here!!

Lyle Gruby
12-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi Don,

I love this comp. I was there last year and did get up on the top spot, but I like this comp. more than any of mine. I think the rock on your left and the vegetation in the LRC added a lot to the balance of your comp. You shot wider than I did and included more of North Window which I like a lot. I didn't shoot this wide which I regret after seeing this. Great job. I got disappointed after seeing no clouds in the sky to add any drama, but you made lemonade whereas I just complained about the lemons. How many people did you have to clone out?

Don Lacy
12-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Hi Don,

I love this comp. I was there last year and did get up on the top spot, but I like this comp. more than any of mine. I think the rock on your left and the vegetation in the LRC added a lot to the balance of your comp. You shot wider than I did and included more of North Window which I like a lot. I didn't shoot this wide which I regret after seeing this. Great job. I got disappointed after seeing no clouds in the sky to add any drama, but you made lemonade whereas I just complained about the lemons. How many people did you have to clone out?
None I purposely went in November out of season and while the park was still crowded on the weekend which we spent in Canyonlands during the week it was possible to get images without people in them. we even got into the Love Muffin without a wait.