PDA

View Full Version : Hippo #2

gail bisson
12-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Another hippo shot. Taken in the same lagoon but about an hour earlier.

Canon 1Dx
600mm II
SS 1/2500 F 5.6 ISO 800
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

Dumay de Boulle
12-12-2014, 07:24 AM
WOW!!! This is fantastic. I prefer the colors of the hippo itself to your last post. I did like the surrounding colors in the last one but these are fantastic too. What a dream image...Nicely done Gail.

Rachel Hollander
12-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Hi Gail - This works a treat. Super low pov and excellent sharpness. Nice of the hippo to cooperate and the cascading water just takes it up a notch. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Dvir Barkay
12-12-2014, 08:43 AM
very nice Gail, maybe a bit more hippo in terms of space in the image would have been better.

Mike Poole
12-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Absolutely superb Gail, great low pov, brilliant pose, and the eye contact rounds things off perfectly

Andreas Liedmann
12-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Gail this is even better than the previous one , with some nice splashing action going on . Tones do look better too , in this one. Nicely composed and well executed in the field.
You only might try to exclude the sharpening from the extreme HL to make them less obvious.

Very well done , Gail. :cheers:.

TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
12-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Hi Gail,

very nice capture of this one. Love the water poring out of it's mouth. I might would try to get the blue-ish of it's head, just to see if it would look better. Sometimes the blue adds sometimes not.

Great image of this one for sure :5

Ciao Anette

Steve Kaluski
12-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Hi Gail, this is better tonally and richer. I still get the impression DE has been used, again the light is just so even. I think the NR is too much because you have an ultra smooth FG/BG that just throws the subject out as it's sharp, at ISO 800 you shouldn't need it, but all subjective. Like the head angle and the cascading water, would try not applying any sharpening to the water, looks a bit too sharp IMHO, highlight emphasis it I think. Perhaps visually it needs a minimal CCW rotation, not using the Ruler in PS, but by the old fashioned method, the eye. :w3

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
12-16-2014, 05:02 PM
This is a fantastic hippo shot, Gail!! :cheers: :5
Is it me or is the in focus plane of water indicating a slope left to right? Perhaps a very slight rotation needed?

Steen Torner
01-02-2015, 12:38 PM
What a great shot!

Sharpness and composition are spot on and the balance of colours just fine. Also, the DOF is perfect to me. I really like the water splash in the mouth and the eye contact. However, I may agree with Anette about the blue on its head.

Regards Steen :S3: