PDA

View Full Version : White-fronted Bee-Eater

gail bisson
12-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Shot as a vertical
Canon 1DX
600mm II and 1.4X
ISO 1600 SS 1/640 F 5.6
PP: Small crop to 80% FF, cloned out a white spot on the branch to the right and the tip of a branch that was just reaching into the frame on the left, NR to BG, reduced magenta cast, added 2 points of black to the neutrals in selective coloring, DE to bird at 2% and USM to JPEG
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Karl Egressy
12-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Beautiful as is, Gail. By going darker on the bird only, not including the eye and the beak, would bring out the colors and textures a little more.

Dvir Barkay
12-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Agree with Karl about darkening the body a bit and image a tad bit, or at least adding some contrast to the midtones. I did a midtones levels adjustment and a slight lights levels adjustment with masks. And I think that helps add a bit of color to the image. Otherwise very nice Gail!

keith mitchell
12-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Hi Gail did think it lacked a bit of punch, sure you know a lot more than me how to rectify this,it do like the way the light comes through from the top, very nice.

Keith.

Raybel Robles
12-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Nice image. I also agree with maybe using detail extractor from NIK or something to get more colors and darken the bird and branch a bit.

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I like Dvir repost, the colours were a tad washed out in the OP. This is a really handsome bird, nice colours and look back pose.

Bill Dix
12-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Gorgeous bird in a beautiful pose, and I like the hint of vegetation in the bg. I also felt that the image seemed a little washed-out, almost as if you had used flash. Some extra black to the neutrals, or brightness adjustment, or a Curves adjustment along the lines of Dvir's repost, will bring out the full potential.

Grace Scalzo
12-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I typed a comment, which now I don't see. Love how everything came together here. Good suggestions above for polishing. The bright spot in the eye looks a bit odd to me.

gail bisson
12-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Thank you all for the advice. i thought it was lacking some punch which was why I added some blacks to the neutrals but it obviously wasn't enough.
Here is a repost with curves on the bird only.
Dvir-Thank you for taking the time to play with this image.
Grace- I didn't do anything to the eye.Maybe I should?

David Salem
12-12-2014, 10:05 PM
The repost looks much better and really makes the bird pop well. Brings out the feather details better. I Like the perch and the BG but not sure if i like the light coming in from the top. Looks cool but my eyes keep going up to it. Nice work as always Gail.

Enrique Patino
12-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Great work Gail

WillieHall
12-13-2014, 01:29 AM
a beautiful bird captured nicely and I also like the subtle changes in repost. I like the catchlight in the eye, adds life and so much better than a totally dark eye.

Stu Bowie
12-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Hi Gail, perfect angled pose perched on a nice thin perch, and against a smooth BG. I like the hint of light/ opening in the foliage at the top of the frame. Before reading any comment, I thought the BE was a touch too bright, and your repost has that sorted nicely. Regarding the eye, it looks like it was overcast not to have shown a good catchlight, so it would be up to you to 'play around' with the eye to see if you could achieve a better eye. :w3

Have you ever attempted a take off shot of these guys - they are extremely quick with no warning that they are about to take off.

Glenn Conlan
12-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Very beautiful image Gail a nice wall hanger for sure!

Glenn

Rachel Hollander
12-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Hi Gail - Your rp is a nice improvement. Good details, pose and sharpness.

TFS,
Rachel