PDA

View Full Version : Susquehanna Rive landscape

Dvir Barkay
12-11-2014, 07:16 PM

It isn't the most photogenic river in the world, and I was out shooting bald eagles, but the distant clouds, forest, and lack of eagle activity prompted me to take this shot.

1DmrkIII, Canon 300/2.8 L IS, F/5.6, ISO 320, 9mpx of 10.1, Conowingo Dam, 2014

Don Railton
12-12-2014, 04:06 AM
I was at this spot 2 years ago, almost exactly... Never been so cold in my life standing and waiting the Eagles. When I went back to Baltimore after waiting all day in the occasional flurry I had to have a bath to warm up... Anyway, I can see why you took this shot, I like the cloud and trees, but I would have added a little more water FG. If you standing where I think you were, there is plenty to have... Got to say there were very few Eagles there then also. Got the old ' should have been here last week' story from the locals..

Regards
Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diane Miller
12-12-2014, 02:16 PM
I love views of trees like this that look like a tapestry. These are set off nicely against the sky.

Another thought here is to do a horizontal with just the patterns in the trees as the subject, with a little bit of sky and maybe even less FG, or darken it and lower its contrast to make it simply a supporting base for the trees. Maybe crop out the water, although that doesn't leave much base.

Don Lacy
12-13-2014, 08:09 PM
I like how the tree contrast nicely against the sky, I with Diane on removing the water and I would also be tempted to ad just a touch of contrast to the clouds.

Morkel Erasmus
12-16-2014, 05:05 PM
I like the soft pastel tones here Dvir, and the layering. I would also have liked to see a horizontal take, perhaps even a "vertorama", where you take a horizontal landscape frame, then take another one framed slightly higher, and perhaps another one - in the end you stack them together in a vertical panorama (hence "vertorama"), and even though you end up with a square frame you are able to capture most of the horizontal and vertical detail and interest. I'd darken this slightly as well.

Andrew McLachlan
12-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Hi Dvir, I do agree on a horizontal as well and I would opt for more water rather than none...perhaps you have some alternate comps to share? The time between leaf fall and winter can be a challenging time to create pleasing imagery, but I think you succeeded nicely here.

andresleon
12-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Many of the comments I thought of have already been mentioned. I think, perhaps, capturing more water so as to create 1/3 water, 1/3 trees, 1/3 sky would look interesting. Don't know if you increased saturation on the trees to bring out the colors, but I think the look great contrasting with the sky. Well done.