PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Amberwing obelisking

Robert O'Toole
05-25-2008, 08:27 PM
A little tiny (less than 1 inch) Eastern Amberwings Male obelisking in the Field across the street from my place enjoying some sun. I like these guys so much, once you are close enough they are oblivious to your presence, you can put your finger next to them when they perch, and they will jump right on.

Sorry the back wing is OOF! Next time! :D

Sigma MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM and NIKON D300m 1/250 @ F7.1
ISO: 400 with SB-R200 Nikon speedlite in manual mode.

Ed Vatza
05-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Don't think I would have noticed the back wing had you not pointed it out. I really like the image. The color is great and the love the background. Very sharp and wonderful detail. Good job.

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Robert,
That is one cool looking DFly. Love the BG......really makes this one pop! Can't a guy dream/drool about f 124 :D:D:D??? I promise I'll consider the other f stops on the lens........sooner or later!

Julie Kenward
05-25-2008, 09:16 PM
I would never have noticed that back wing, either. This image is really stunning! The DOF and the sharpness (except for that one wing!) is to die for.

John Cooper
05-25-2008, 09:26 PM
A beautiful composition Robert, lovely and sharp where it counts, and with a complimentry BG. The colour combinations here are superb!!
Yes, I know what you mean about the wing, always a problem with these critters and probably why I tend to approach them from the back, but I must admit I do like this perspective very much!!!

Robert O'Toole
05-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey Robert,
That is one cool looking DFly. Love the BG......really makes this one pop! Can't a guy dream/drool about f 124 :D:D:D??? I promise I'll consider the other f stops on the lens........sooner or later!

:D

I am surprised you dont use a TS-E Roman. I have owned this lens 2 different times but I sold it again :( . It works well with a 1.4x and a 2x. Its very sharp and the shift and tilt effects are amazing. You can get amazing DOF at F5.6 !!

These were THE lens to have for years and years with commercial photogs. But they would do the opposite of what you would think. They used to shift and tilt out to blur the field except for one strip of DOF. At one point every magazine had ads and stories with these effects, people, Time, Nat Geo, SI, motor trend, LA times, NY times. It was a full on gimmick shot. Reminds me of the instant sunset - pink tinted gratuated filter images in all the mags...:eek:

Robert

Mike Moats
05-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Hey Robert, excellent job with this tiny subject. Good details and excellent BG.

Vincent Grafhorst
05-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Fantastic photo Robert, I particularly like the colors here.

Steve Maxson
05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Stunning pose, color, sharpness, and background, Robert. I don't mind the OOF wings at all here.

Gus Cobos
05-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Great everything Robert...I like it alot. The colors are nice and soft and the details on your lady are great...:cool:

Ramon M. Casares
05-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Colors, BG, sharpeness, everything looks simply awesome!!! I love it! Congratulations!

Bob Allen
06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
A sweet little dfly. Way to go Toolie!