PDA

View Full Version : Using Star Button to lock focus. Canon 7D

David Cowling
12-11-2014, 06:22 AM
On many forums I have read about the benefits of back focus for bird photography. I have tried very hard to make this work but find that I achieve better focus using the front shutter button. One benefit I do miss is the ability to lock focus using the back* button. I have read on this forum that people use this method but I don't know how to set this up. The options for configuring the * button on the 7D are - AE Lock - Metering and AF Start - AF Stop - FE lock none of which allow me to lock focus. Any advice would be very welcome.
Thank you.

David Cowling
12-11-2014, 06:30 AM
I have just answered my own question. It is metering and AF start. I didn't realise that you could have both buttons set to this.:e3

David Cowling
12-11-2014, 09:37 AM
No, that doesn't work either because as soon as I press the shutter button the camera refocuses. What I want to do is lock focus on a certain point, say a birds eye, and then recompose the image and take the shot at the best moment. Perhaps this can only be done with the camera set to BBF.

DickLudwig
12-11-2014, 10:18 AM
No, that doesn't work either because as soon as I press the shutter button the camera refocuses. What I want to do is lock focus on a certain point, say a birds eye, and then recompose the image and take the shot at the best moment. Perhaps this can only be done with the camera set to BBF.
I don't have a 7DII but on the 7D if I remember correctly in order to set the * button to be primary focus you also have to turn off the shutter release focus.

Diane Miller
12-11-2014, 12:25 PM
That's correct. Do it in the same menu, the first item.

Jim Neiger
12-11-2014, 01:16 PM
David,

You want to set it to AF OFF. This is the same thing as AF Lock.

David Cowling
12-12-2014, 02:56 AM
Thank you Jim. All set up now.

David