PDA

View Full Version : Iris' Hues

Julie Kenward
05-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I hated the full blown version of this iris but kept thinking there was something overall that I liked about it. I finally cropped a small section out of the middle and let the hues speak for themselves.

Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 1/160
Handheld, AWB, Eval metering

Post processing: Big crop, soft glow action, small bump in saturation & levels, noise reduction & small amount of gaussian blur.

Ed Vatza
05-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I like what you are doing here Julie. The hues are great and I really like the softness and luxuriousness of the image. This is going to sound like I am crazy but I would still like to see an edge somewhere in the image to set off all the softness, if that makes any sense.

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey Julie,
I am going to have to try the shallow DOF.........I reaaly like the softness and tones and while I do understand what ed is asking for.........I think it wouldn't work in this image Very nicely seen!..........and Robert if you read this........I can only dream of f 124 :D:D:D.

Julie Kenward
05-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Actually, Ed, I had a bit of an edge in the middle without the gaussian blur but the crop was so tight that I had a bit more "detail" than I would like for this kind of image so I did a small blur and lost the edge. I have done some abstracts before, though, where they had "edge" to them and I understand why you feel this way. All blur sometimes seems like overkill but other times I like the overall effect.

Roman, I can't believe all of my soft abstracts haven't sent you running and screaming into the night. :D Now pass me one of those beers and let's get on with summer!

John Cooper
05-25-2008, 09:21 PM
An interesting exercise in design and pastel colours Julie. Must admit though I am a bit like Ed wanting a sharp edge or spot to rest my eye!!

Mike Moats
05-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Hey Julie, I like the comp, color combo and the line running up the left side. I would like to see more saturation in the colors to make them pop.

Julie Kenward
05-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Here it is again with more pop to the color and a bit more contrast. Is this a happy medium between the before and after?

Mike Moats
05-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Julie, much better, the line is stronger, and richer color. Well done.

John Cooper
05-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Yes Julie, to me this has lots more impact - well done!!

Bob Allen
06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I like both versions but the repost really does it for me. Nice!