PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow

David Cowling
12-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Waiting for some birds to appear I turned round and saw this. There is a bird in the picture if you look closely.

Canon 7D 100-400L at 100mm. 1/640@f6.3. Raw developed in Photoshop CS6
A little sharpening and cloning out of ugly white plastic boat moored in the far distance.

Andrew McLachlan
12-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Hi David, I really like the rainbow coming down to the tree and cabin...so much that I am wishing this was a vertical composition that focused on that. The right side of the composition is not really working for me and with the windmill obscured by the tree I am finding it to be a bit distracting...you could still create a vertical by cropping this scene as such...unless you composed a vertical.

Don Railton
12-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Hi David

Its a pity that a lot of the elements in this are obscured. I think the image would be a lot stronger if they were not but... My thoughts are the same as Andrews, especially given the mill is obscured but is still bright enough to draw the eye. A crop down the center just to the right of the bird would allow the cloning remnants from white boat to disappear also...

regards

DON

Diane Miller
12-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Two birds! I could go either way with cropping -- this or a vertical. I don't mind the tree in the way in the right half, as it softens the windmill and keeps it from competing with the rainbow. Great capture of the rainbow!! Did you use a polarizer? You can really bring out a rainbow with one, or quench it almost entirely, depending on the rotation.

Dvir Barkay
12-11-2014, 07:07 PM
nice shot, agree about a more prominent windmill, but still nice.

Don Lacy
12-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Nice scene with a strong rainbow. I do wish you would have composed it in vertical and moved the house and rainbow into the right hand side giving you a nice vertical line thru the image

Morkel Erasmus
12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Nice to turn around and see that nature is providing in all kinds of ways while we focus on one thing in front of us.
Contrary to other comments here, I'd have liked to see a version "zoomed in more", focusing on the cabin, the rainbow, and the bird (so that the bird is slightly bigger as well).