PDA

View Full Version : The Snowy Owls are Back!

Marina Scarr
12-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I have recently learned from various sources that the snowies are once again irrupting this year, although maybe not in quite as many numbers as last season. Heck, early this year we had a snowy owl in Florida for several days! This female was photographed in Canada atop an old bird house a few years back. I find that the elements of the bird house and the owl's pose add interest to this image. Hope you all agree.

Canon 1D3, Canon 500L & 1.4
F8, 1/1250sec, ISO 640, manual mode
Tripod

Comments and critiques are always much appreciated.

Karl Egressy
12-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I like the pose and the pale blue sky background. The perch is interesting as I would have never guessed that they would land on a bird feeder post.
Nice work, Marina.
As far as eruption goes, it looks like it will be an other good year for Snowy Owls, based on some reports coming from Ottawa area.

Bill Dix
12-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Wonderful eye contact and exposure. Looks like an ornament on top of a mast. I might have been tempted to move him off-center to the right a bit, but nice image either way. So far we have at least 2 Snowies in New Jersey. Not like last year yet, but I'm hopeful.

Dumay de Boulle
12-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Superb IQ and detail, well exposed....Man I dream to get to see one of these one day.

keith mitchell
12-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Marina central bird I know but this works very well for me, even the loops of the wire add balance to the whole image ,bird beautifully exposed and certainly a different pose, like the whole image and green with envy that you have these magnificent birds to work with.

Keith.

Vanessa caccamise
12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Snowy Owls look magnificent on any perch! Nice shot!

Bob Smith
12-09-2014, 03:41 PM
A very nice pose of a beauty bird Marina--and the perch makes it a really interesting image

christopher galeski
12-10-2014, 02:15 AM
nice image and good exposure,sharp with good detail,like the raised foot.TFS.

Joseph Przybyla
12-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Beautiful bird, excellent IQ. Thank you for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
12-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Pretty neat image here. The perch works remarkably well, I especially like the way the one foot is holding the top of the pole. Yes, there are many reports of Snowies in the area...and I've not had the opportunity to go out to scout them yet ARGHHH!! All I can do is read and weep for now:bugeyed:

Jim Crosswell
12-10-2014, 09:25 AM
I like the exposure, sharpness, raised foot and wing. I saw one two weeks ago up here but he flew away before I could get a good image.

gail bisson
12-10-2014, 04:32 PM
I really like the raised foot and the color of the BG. Like the raised wing as well.
I see a bit of ? noise creeping into the foot feathers and under the tail. Correct me if I am wrong.
I initially wasn't sure about the perch but it is growing on me- especially the symmetrical wires on each side. I do wonder if this needs to have a slight rotation CCW?
Lots to say but still really like the image!
Gail

arash_hazeghi
12-11-2014, 02:14 AM
very nice Marina! might be tempted to run some NR on the darker areas. can't believe you saw a snowy in Florida! nature has gone crazy!

David Salem
12-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Very cool Marina. I like the pose as it is holding on with it's wings open. I wouldn't have thought that this perch would work but the symmetrical wires and rigging make it kinda cool. A great hand of man image. Well done.

Steve Large
12-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi Marina,
Really like this image. It illustrates perfectly the sometimes interesting combination of man and nature. Great focus and eye contact on the bird. Maybe it's just these old eyes but I don't see any noise.

Take care and good light,

Steve