PDA

View Full Version : Evening Grosbeak

Pierre Nadeau
05-25-2008, 06:42 PM
I took this Picture Yesterday on my Father's land beside my feeder from my hide.
Canon EOS 40D---1/250---F-8.0---ISO 320
Canon EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Flash On
I put down the saturation of yellow chanel -15% on cs2 your opinion is welcome???
See my correction in the post lower........

Regard's

Pierre Nadeau

Dave Phillips
05-25-2008, 07:11 PM
beautiful bird and comp Pierre. I think it was a good call on desaturating the yellow.
The light angle is very nice

question:
are those feathers on the mid wing(area) really gray or did you tone down a hot white?

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Pierre,
The composition, head angle, and BG are all very well done. My only recommendation is to selectively tone down the whites on the backside..........it does look like there is detail in there..............you may have lost some of it during compression.............but these are minor adjustments.....and the yellows look fine also. Very nice capture!

Arthur Morris
05-25-2008, 07:26 PM
I like it a ton. Lovely bird, perch, sharpness, and image design. Actually, the whites on the backs look grayed out rather than overexposed.... Did you repost in response to Roman's comments or has he been drinking too many beers???

Grace Scalzo
05-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, the whites on the back look unnatural...burn tool maybe??
Anyhow, great bird on a pleasing perch, love the eye contact and the sharp beak.

Pierre Nadeau
05-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Arthur Morris Wrote:

I like it a ton. Lovely bird, perch, sharpness, and image design. Actually, the whites on the backs look grayed out rather than overexposed.... Did you repost in response to Roman's comments or has he been drinking too many beers???Grace Scalzo wrote:

Yeah, the whites on the back look unnatural...burn tool maybe??
Anyhow, great bird on a pleasing perch, love the eye contact and the sharp beak.M.Morris
No repost in response to Roman,s...........
You are right regarding white, I found whites on the back on my original raw too bright but not burned! So I use (burn tool) not 100% sure it is the burn tool my cs2 is french but use this tool to make whites less bright and now looks gray.....
Do you have a suggestion to avoid this????

Regard's
Pierre

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 08:32 PM
I like it a ton. Lovely bird, perch, sharpness, and image design. Actually, the whites on the backs look grayed out rather than overexposed.... Did you repost in response to Roman's comments or has he been drinking too many beers???

Hey Artie,
Did I say overexposed in my comments or "selectivly tone down the whites"???...........but i should have added in the original! Next beers on you!

Dave Phillips
05-25-2008, 11:02 PM
thank you for the reponse

Pierre Nadeau
05-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Here is a new version with whites corrected.
What do you think on this one????
Thank's

Pierre Nadeau

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Roman, Here is what you wrote ORIG: "My only recommendation is to selectively tone down the whites on the backside." So yes, you did not say that the whites were over-exposed but you did suggest that they were too white. In fact, the opposite was true so beers are still on you. BTW, I hate beer and cannot even have a margarita anymore!

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Pierre, the repost is better and I am not familar with this species but I have a feeling that those feathers are supposed to be white white. They are still grey. Can you post a JPEG representing the image as it looked right after it was converted?

Pierre Nadeau
05-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Arthur Morris Wrote:

Pierre, the repost is better and I am not familar with this species but I have a feeling that those feathers are supposed to be white white. They are still grey. Can you post a JPEG representing the image as it looked right after it was converted?M.Morris
I took the original raw, I converted in jpeg in DPP after in cs2 I resize 700X467 300dpi and I did no modification no sharpen nothing except the conversion in jpeg and resizing!

Thank's for your help;)

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 08:17 AM
YAW & Thanks Pierre. The whites are certainly whiter. The learning process continues. When I opened this image in PS, a quick levels check showed over-exposed highlights.

#1: What program do you use to convert your RAW images?
#2: Do you know how to convert darker/recover highlights?

Pierre Nadeau
05-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Arthur Morris Wrote:

YAW & Thanks Pierre. The whites are certainly whiter. The learning process continues. When I opened this image in PS, a quick levels check showed over-exposed highlights.

#1: What program do you use to convert your RAW images?
#2: Do you know how to convert darker/recover highlights?Question 1: In DPP (canon sofware) I work on my raw image for some ajustement like white balance ect.... after I click (tool) and transfer to photoshop cs2 and there my image is in tiff and after my modification I safe in tiff!
To take my tiff and convert to jpeg I do it in DPP (convert in jpeg) and after i go with my jpeg in photoshop cs2 to put it in 300dpi 700X....... put a bit of sharpen and save for web!

Question 2: I don't know how to convert darker/recover highlights (and I would like to know)! what I do is (shadow highlight) and I the tool that can locally add more light or put a bright area darker (I think that tool is call burning tool) as I said my cs2 is french:(

Thank's for your time
I appreciate your help a lot;)

Pierre

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 11:42 AM
OK. It has been a while since I used DPP. I am pretty sure that we include DPP details in Digital Basics but I opened up my old computer and came up with this:

1-Open DPP and browse to the image. Right click on the image and click on Open in Edit Window.

2-Click on view in the image pane, make sure that the words highlight and shadow are checked. These are your warnings. There should be a way to make them the default but I could not figure it out....

3-Now click on the Tool symbol--it looks a bit like an open book. Make sure the RAW tab is open.

4- In the EVGR image, the whites should be flashing red--this is telling you that in the RAW image you have over-exposed highlights.

5-Now, move the brightness slider to the left until the red disappears. In this image, it should. In some grossly over-exposed images doing this WILL NOT HELP. But you should be fine with this one.

6-If you see some blue warnings (shadow) move the contrast slider to the left. They may or may not disappear but they are nowhere near as important as the red (highlight) warnings....

7- You may or may not wish to fine tune the image by doing the same stuff in the RGB tab.

8-Now click on batch process, make your selections for output resolution and the rest, click on Open image using software, and browse to Photoshop, and click execute. (You most likely have done all of that already).

9- Your converted RAW image should open as a TIFF in Photoshop without any burned highlights....

10- Do that and post the image as a JPEG.

Hope that you like my teaching style; there is tons and tons more iinfo like this n ABP II and in Digital Basics...

Pierre Nadeau
05-26-2008, 12:33 PM
M.Morris
Thank you very much for your valuable tips:)
I appreciate a lot that you take this time to help me.

Regard's
Pierre Nadeau

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-26-2008, 01:15 PM
What a gorgeous bird and all the wonderful info that has been learned from this post is awesome. Many thanks for sharing this with us Pierre and thanks Artie for all the great tips. !!!