PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Snow

Diane Miller
12-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Another minimalist landscape. We were lucky enough to have a (small) snowstorm in the eastern Sierra on a recent trip. Canon 5D3, 70-200 f/2.8 at 80, ISO 100, 1/400 at f/7.1. Basic LR adjustments and into PS to bring out some Structure in Viveza, masked out of the FG.

In a way I wish there were more detail on the top peak, but that was the way it was and what was in the image.

Don Railton
12-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Hi Diane

An image that nicely portrays the snowstorm... I think it is nicely composed and the top fading into cloud for me adds to the feeling of cold blustery conditions that no doubt existed. I like the ridgeline lead in the FG. I do think that there is a faint blue cast but I wonder if that's intentional? Maybe you made it intentionally blue to emphasise the cold?? Otherwise, using colour balance -6 ish and ~ 5 on the red brings it so white is white.. I also see quite a few snow bunnies in the sky...

Its going to be 35C (high 90's) here this week.. will look forward to seeing a bit more snow after that.

regards

DON

Diane Miller
12-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Thanks Don, and, oh dear -- I'm embarrassed I didn't see those dust bunnies. This one was processed on the trip and I guess I never scrutinized it on the Big Screen. Fixed now on the master file -- thanks!! The color cast was from either the in-camera WB or maybe Auto, and I liked the cold mood so didn't neutralize it.

I just got the new sensor cleaning thing mentioned in another thread and it works wonders! I just used it on this sensor and it took off a bunch of tiny specs that I have learned by experience would be very difficult to get off with solvent and swabs. When you bring up contrast and detail you really bring out the bunnies.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/124598-Sensor-Gel-for-cleaning

Enjoy a day at the beach for me!

Don Railton
12-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Thanks for this Diane...I have used the 'visible dust' v swab before successfully, but after a brief read I think I might invest one of these Gel based cleaners too...I like the concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew McLachlan
12-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Nicely seen Diane...I like it the way it is. We are to get our first real snow storm this evening...or so the weatherman says. I hope so...I am going stir crazy without any winter scenes to photograph!

Don Lacy
12-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Snow what snow asked the man from Florida. Nice lines here and layers here Diane.