PDA

View Full Version : The jetty...

Don Railton
12-06-2014, 01:40 AM
Hi Guys,
I was raking through my archives and found this. Sort of liked it and thought I might share... This was taken about 5 years ago at a beach in Busseltown, about 2 hours south of Perth. I think Busseltown jetty is/was one of the longest wooden structures still surviving in the southern hemisphere, forgotten the details actually. Taken with my old coal powered Canon 10D, its a whopping 6MP which does not leave a lot of room for cropping... the 10D was my first DSLR camera.

Self critique, the FG is not sharp because wrong F stop, wrong everything with settings really. I would never use these settings now...IQ is 10D....

Canon 10D and 70 to 200 F4 IS at 200mm
1/750 at F5.6, iso 400, shutter priority. (what was I thinking...!!) it was handheld

processed in ACR, basically just adjusting levels and then I rotated the image level, then cropped to 16:9
No sharpening or NR...

Don Railton
12-06-2014, 02:23 AM
Hey don, you got the same dark corner as Bob....!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don Lacy
12-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Hi Don, I think it could use just a touch of sharpening and I would be tempted to turn the land completely black and go for a more graphic images. I like the sun and warm colors

Diane Miller
12-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Not bad for something that old! (I started in digital with the 20D and some of the files are not bad.)

That's an amazing jetty! I like the diagonal composition with the shoreline in opposition to the sun instead of leading to it. It provides a strong element to balance the large sun. That's a really bright sun and the sensor handled the tones well -- digital can give a really strange effect around very bright areas but I don't see it here.

I'd clone out the small separated piece of cloud right at the top edge. Since the FG is OOF anyway, I wonder how it would look to so some subtle blur on the water to reduce the gritty look? But that might not work well -- just a thought.

Don Railton
12-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys... I will have a shot at those later today once the chores are done..

Don Railton
12-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Chores done, but not complete unfortunately...

In this repost I blurred the water with Gaussian Blur at ~ 8 pixels. I like this look better than sharpening it. I did sharpen the jetty but this is where the IQ/resolution of the 10D does not provide a lot of satisfaction... Then removed the cloud top edge and started playing with others around the sun to define that better but backed out of that pretty soon... Leave it true I thought... I also darkened the FG corner. I like the final result as it better focuses attention to the jetty IMHO...

Thanks for your help guys...

regards

DON

Diane Miller
12-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I like the touches you applied, except not so sure if blurring the water is an improvement. It may just be me, but I rarely like it when I capture these high-frequency disturbances in a water surface, but they rarely smooth out nicely. Usually the best I can do is with contrast reduction. That's always when I wish I had done a long exposure.

Don Railton
12-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks for commenting again Diane... I do agree a long exposure would have made a huge difference here. Settings used were those of an enthused photographer without a lot of understanding on what works. I think I understand more today, will know even more tomorrow...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew McLachlan
12-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Don...I would go a touch darker with the foreground...going through old files is a good exercise and sometimes we come across files that we have over-looked...my favorite part of this scene is the sun half gone into the clouds.