PDA

View Full Version : One from over the pond

David Cowling
12-04-2014, 11:55 AM
This is typical scenery from the Norfolk Broads area in which I live. This is the kind of light we experience in winter for most of the time. Very frustrating when you want to go out and photograph birds.

Don Railton
12-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Hi David

I like your composition... wonderful old mill and a nice lead to it. Something has happened to the colour however as the greens are almost black and there is a distinct red in what I presume is straw coloured dry grasses..

DON

David Cowling
12-05-2014, 02:56 AM
Thanks Don. Yes you are right now that I look at it. This might be a bit better.

Diane Miller
12-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Yes, but still some magenta in the grasses and the blacks still seem heavy. A subtle image like this can be a challenge.

A very nice sky and I like how the windmill is balanced by the house.

What camera and lens? I see some distortion on the horizon that could be corrected. A raw capture? What processing software?

Don Railton
12-06-2014, 01:02 AM
Hello again David...

I agree its better but there are still some issues as Diane has also pointed out. I know you are new to the forum so you may not have read that when making submissions BPN requests that you add some info detailing camera equipment and setting and also a brief explanation of the processing used. This often helps in quickly sorting out issues. I do like this composition...

Don

Don Lacy
12-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Hi David, I really like the subject matter and the compositions here the color issues have already been noted. I would also point out that the sky could use a bit of mid tone contrast and I would burn the whites in the clouds and windmill just a bit also.

David Cowling
12-07-2014, 12:43 PM
My apologies to all but I didn't realise that images posted here would be critiqued, I just snapped it off as an illustration of the weather prevailing here in the UK while I was waiting for birds/light. I will post (hopefully) better images in future. I might do something with it in monochrome at a later date because I realise that it it is not a thing of beauty as it is. The image was taken with an old Panasonic GF1 and 14mm lens. 3.2 sec @f16 ISO100. Raw edited in CS6.

Don Railton
12-08-2014, 04:23 AM
Hi Dave

A quick B&W interpretation from me.... in the hope it enthuses you to work on it a bit more. I DO like the image, just not the colour...

DON

David Cowling
12-08-2014, 11:17 AM
That looks better already Don. On my monitor it seems to have a sepia tone; is this the case, or do I need to re-calibrate my monitor? I envisage more of a pure black and white treatment when I do the conversion.

Don Railton
12-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Yes, sepia was intended...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew McLachlan
12-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Nice scene David...I really like Don's sepia tone conversion...and agree with critiques on the OP and repost too...look forward to seeing more of your landscapes here.