PDA

View Full Version : GIVE A HOOT FOR THE LOWLY COOT - THEME

gary ellwein
12-02-2014, 03:45 PM
I was surprised to find I had so few images including black subjects. I believe this coot qualifies. Topaz Simplify watercolor is the base with a couple masked Fractalius layers for detail in the coot.

Dennis Bishop
12-02-2014, 04:59 PM
You've got great color harmony in this with the blue and orange, and it all fits together very nicely. The coot is located well in the transition from blue to orange. Its head contrasts well with the orange, and the blue on its back ties in with the blue water in the foreground. I like the results of your processing, too.

gary ellwein
12-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Dennis, thank you for explaining why I like the image. I have no back ground in art. This forum has provided an introduction to realm.

Cheryl Slechta
12-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Hi, Gary, I also like the color combination (and I love coots:S3:) and fractalius was a good choice of filters. I would like to see a little more of the feet if they're sharp. Brushing a little bit of the fract. off of them would do the trick.

Nancy Bell
12-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Yep...black coots certainly qualify for the theme. Good timing in your capture with this coot having his feet in the air! Very nice effect of fractalius & simplify on the coot. It adds nice definition to the wings and subtle interesting lines and colors to the back. The gold and blue water is a fabulous bkgd for the black coot. Cheryl has a good point on the feet. It was be good to see them more easily. Horizontal is the way to go with this image.

Diane Miller
12-02-2014, 10:37 PM
The outline effect here is very well done! And very nice colors! All has been said above...

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
12-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Gary,

Greetings. From the wisp of water off the foot to the great blue-orange gradient across the image to the enhanced detail (esp. in the wings and water)... a fine image. Good show!

Cheers,

-Michael-

gary ellwein
12-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Thanks to all for the look and comments. The repost incorporates Cheryl's suggestion of removing some Fractalius effect from the foot. I like it, thanks. I experimented with Nancy's suggestion of going vertical. Nothing seemed to click. Nancy, what did you have in mind?

Paul Lagasi
12-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Whatever Dennis said, wish I could write like that, which I can't (blue collar, on my shirt) :w3 . Maybe I could have typed a few more lines. Lovely image, colors rock. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Bell
12-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Oops...I typed "vertical" but was thinking "horizontal', just as you presented it. :e3 Good job with the feet being more obvious.

Anita Bower
12-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Very nice. I like the combination of effects you used--they go together well, allowing the Coot to stand out.

Jackie Schuknecht
12-06-2014, 03:46 PM
It has a very 3D look to it. Love the wing tips almost touching the water and the trail of water from the foot. Must say I am partial to the original as it seems to give the bird more definition.