PDA

View Full Version : Bull Sprig

David Salem
12-02-2014, 02:22 AM
This is the old world name given to this species by the duck hunting and waterfowl community. A Sprig is a Pintail and the Bull is the mature drake.
Binu John posted a beautiful wings-down pose of a drake Pintail a few weeks back so I thought I would post the fully extended wings-up pose.
This frame was commissioned in a 36"X24" canvas for the entry of a local fish and game office along with several other pieces. Hope you like it.

1DX---840mm---f6.3---ss1/2500---ISO800---HH@7:45am---35% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

David

dankearl
12-02-2014, 03:02 AM
Nothing but superlatives, David, excellent in every way....

David Salem
12-02-2014, 03:08 AM
Thanks Dan, I really appreciate that and I'm glad you like the frame.

keith mitchell
12-02-2014, 03:35 AM
David everything fits beautifully, almost pastel colours and just a few droplets of water to add a bit of motion, excellent!

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
12-02-2014, 04:14 AM
David no problem liking this at all, super pose exposure and details, the water droplets add a nice finishing touch.

gail bisson
12-02-2014, 06:05 AM
Like it? I love it.
The pintail is my nemesis duck!
BG, light, IQ are all perfect.
My jealousy bone is throbbing right now!
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
12-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Excellent from the light, pose, colours, comp! Could not have asked for better...I'll hold off posting my first ever male Pintail for a few more days now...:t3

I just had my first 24 x 36 canvas prints done recently and I was blown away at how good that medium looks like - this frame should be spectacular.

Bill Dix
12-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Simply stunning! Checks all the boxes, no nits. In addition to the perfect flight angle, wing position and IQ, I especially love the BG.

Question for David and Daniel (If it's appropriate for this forum): How do you set up an image for 24x36 printing? I've generally avoided printing any image that's not large enough to give me at least 200ppi in its native form. Do you resample the image when you size it to 24x36? At what ppi? Thanks.

David Salem
12-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks again everyone for the comments. I appreciate them.

David Salem
12-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Hey Bill, Thanks for your comment.
I have been a rep for a canvas printing company for a few years now and print lots of my stuff on canvas for sale and for personal pleasure. If you are ever interested, or anyone else, I have a special deal that I offer to friends and photographers. As Daniel mentioned this medium is awesome for what we do and when you see your beautiful frames on canvas it turns them into art!!
My company uses the best products and printers to produce a fantastic finished stretched canvas with great color rendering and detail. Many photographers use my services, including BPNr Grace Scalzo, and they love the finished canvases.
The deal I offer is four different 24"X36" canvases with a 1.5" gallery wrap shipped to your door for $250.00 US!! Thats only $62.50 each shipped. Most companies charge that for one canvas that size.
Anyone interested can PM me for details.
To answer your question all you need to do is crop to the desired size in PS then upsize the resolution to 250-300 ppi. You are then ready to send it to the printer.
Thanks again

Bill Dix
12-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks David. Sounds too good to pass up!

When you say "upsize the resolution" I assume this means resampling to infill new pixels where none existed in the original. Knowing your insistence on outstanding IQ, I assume this doesn't degrade the image, if the crop is minimal.

David Salem
12-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Bill, Yes in PS go to image size and set the proper height and width in inches then set the resolution to 300ppi. Check the re-sample box and set it to "preserve details"(enlargement).
That should do it.
Yes, you have a very good eye for IQ, so if it looks sharp to you, the IQ will come out killer and the resampling will not degrade the image.

David Salem
12-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Oops, forgot to mention that another round of sharpening is also good for printing. Not a ton but it should look just a tiny bit crunchy by our BPN viewing standards.
Let me know if you need more help or have any interest in some of your beautiful art on your wall. I'm sure you have some wall space and you will be blown away with the quality.
Thanks

Jim Crosswell
12-02-2014, 04:59 PM
A real beauty David! I like the wing position, IQ, details, complimentary BG and composition. Thanks for the printing information.

Karl Egressy
12-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Great shot of one of my favorite ducks, David.

Doug Brown
12-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Gorgeous frame Dave! Looking forward to some winter ducks in March!

Satish Ranadive
12-03-2014, 02:34 AM
Magnificent take off shot with magical color pallet.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
12-03-2014, 11:38 AM
what a shot man, wish it were mine

David Salem
12-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate it.