PDA

View Full Version : Southern Sierra

Diane Miller
11-30-2014, 02:18 PM
I love atmospheric perspective. This one is thanks to the air pollution that piles up over the southern San Joaquin Valley, trapped by a ring of hills and mountains. Looking west from Sequoia NP.

Canon 5D3, 70-200 f/2.8 at 70. ISO 400, f/19, 1/350 sec. We had gone up the trail to Moro Rock and I had carried the camera not expecting to shoot anything but a record shot of the view to the east in flat afternoon light. When I looked west I liked what I saw, but didn't think it was worth going back to the car for the tripod. In processing the pictures, this one grew on me, though. Lesson -- always take the tripod. It's good exercise.

Don Railton
11-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Hi Diane...I Like this... Not so sure about the blue top edge, but don't have suggestions as what to do with it...B&W??? The road might bother the purists, luckily I am not one of those...

Regards

DON

Diane Miller
11-30-2014, 11:39 PM
I thought about removing the road but kind of liked the flowing line. The blue is the (reasonably) clear air above the smog layer, which we don't usually see from down below, so I composed it in to tell the story. But maybe it isn't obvious to most viewers.

The whole scene would probably be more accurate in a pale sepia. The air was just ugly that day.

Luis Patacao
12-01-2014, 08:46 AM
HI Diane, i love this type of images... i like the layers and also the blue on the top. thus wouldn`t change nothing. At about a month ago while visiting one of my country moutains i ended up with a photo of this sryle, will post it soon.

Diane Miller
12-01-2014, 09:58 AM
I'd love to see it!!

Morkel Erasmus
12-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Nice use of layers and light/atmosphere here Diane.
I'd like to see this as a monochrome with a tad more punch/contrast (seeing as it's nearly monotone as presented anyway). I don't mind the road in these kinds of scenes.

Andrew McLachlan
12-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi Diane, explaining the blue helps and if it tells a story then it should stay in the scene. Love the layering caused by the pollution. As an alternate to this version a B&W conversion would look stunning I think.

Diane Miller
12-02-2014, 01:15 PM
I've messed with a range of color alterations here. The best I can do and still preserve some idea that the top is sky, is to do some selective color work -- different amounts for the FG, mid-ground and sky. I like this version as it gets away from the strong blue cast of high-altitude mid-day light, at least a little.

And now that I see it here, it looks little on the greenish-cyan side. Will work on that but probably not worth a RP.

Always interested in other opinions, of course!

Don Railton
12-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi Diane. RP is much stronger I think....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk