PDA

View Full Version : Mesa from the side

Don Lacy
11-29-2014, 07:40 PM
So its about 45 minutes after sunrise and the mass of photographers that had arrived for the morning has now dwindle down to about 7 of us left, which gave me the opportunity to explore some different angles and views which lead to this image. It never ceases to amaze me how often I see other photographers miss images from either not properly working an area or from walking away from a scene once they think the action is over I see this all the time especially when shooting Avian and wildlife.

This is a single image from a 6D, 16-35 f/4 at 17mm, 1/80s at f/13, Evaluative Metered, ISO 400, and rare for me hand held. Nothing to fancy for processing around 7 layers total including a tonal contrast layer using Niks CE4, dodge and burn layers using soft light and overlay, 3 different curve layers using luminosity mask, and selectively sharpen using a layer and mask to hopefully avoid halos that Don and Morkel keep catching :S3:

Dvir Barkay
11-29-2014, 09:38 PM
very nice, maybe a bit softer light would have made it a bit more balanced, but its still very nice.

dankearl
11-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Nice warm light.
I think a bit off the top would look good....

Diane Miller
11-30-2014, 01:52 PM
I love the dynamic composition with the wide angle. The detail on the arch closest to the viewer pulls me into the scene. Wonderful color for that long after sunrise!

Don Railton
11-30-2014, 11:21 PM
I pretty much like it just as it is Don.. I especially like the perspective on the arch, I least like the intersection of the underside of the arch with the distant ridge. Maybe a couple of faint clouds in the sky would help.. but you cant have everything

Don

Andrew McLachlan
12-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi Don, you have found a great abgle from which to photograph this iconic scene. Nice to see something a little different. Ditto your comments about not working a scene. I will often go to a location and spend an entire day there.