PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Gate in Fog

Diane Miller
11-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Shot a couple of years ago. Canon 5D II, 70-200 f/2.8 at 85, ISO 200, 1/1000 sec. I assume I was handholding from the SS. I had been checking out Hawk Hill (to no avail) and as I came back down I saw the fog swirling around the bridge. I probably just jumped out of the car and started shooting. The other shots show swirling and quickly changing fog, with most not worth keeping. This was near the end of the series.

Basic LR adjustments and a little PS work in Nik CEP Tonal Contrast to bring out the fog, and a little Selective Color for the reds and blues.

dankearl
11-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Nice image of this Icon and very good comp.
I think just cloning or lightening the LHC to make it all fog would look good.

Don Lacy
11-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Very nice Diane, The fog ads a nice frame and the blue sky and red bridge contrast nicely against it.

Don Railton
11-30-2014, 11:14 PM
Very Sweet Diane...and I hope you didn't take this through the front windscreen of the airplane..!!:Whoa!: I see a reassuring shadow LHS which looks like ground I assume you are standing on.. I might be tempted to blur that edge a little more just to keep the cloak of fog intact...

DON

Diane Miller
11-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Hi Don,

I debated about that piece of the hillside -- may obscure it. You have to get way out the road to get that hillside out of your pictures.

It is legal to fly over it, but not quite this low. You have to stay under the "inverted wedding cake" of airline airspace of the San Francisco and other Bay Area airports, which is 3000 ft there. The top of the bridge towers are about 750 ft. Depending on a loose interpretation of congested areas, you could be 500 ft above the towers and be legal.

Way back in the old days, there was a story that someone did a loop around it, mid-span. Would have been frowned on, even then.

Don Railton
11-30-2014, 11:41 PM
I was having heart palpitations thinking this "how would you feel if this just popped of the the fog in front of you...". didn't think for one second it might have happened tho.. As for doing loop around the bridge... well the old saying goes "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old & bold pilots..."

Andrew McLachlan
12-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Beautiful Diane!!! I love how the fog and clouds have created a 'window' for us to view the bridge.

Morkel Erasmus
12-02-2014, 03:49 PM
I really like this, Diane - the bridge emerging from the fog.
Well seen and captured. Dan's got a point, but I do like it as presented too.

Diane Miller
12-02-2014, 10:42 PM
I think I could wash a little more fog over the piece of land. It's such an obtrusive element in every view from outside the bridge, I was too satisfied to see as little of it as I did here.