Canon 7D
Canon EF400mm/5.6L

1/1000 sec f/5.6 ISO 400

Crop for comp, cleanup of some stray debris, and sharpening in CS6

gail bisson
11-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Very nice Ian.
The behavior captured is terrific.
The red crab really adds a nice pop of color. I also like the little details like the stray feather and the feather on the head.
How I wish you had a lower POV for this image. The dark black rocks and green area of grass really prevent this image from reaching its full potential.
The light is a bit harsh but I am much more tolerant of this because I know the constraints you would have RE: landings on islands at certain times and there is nothing you can do about it.
Looking forward to more from your expedition,
Gail

Sharon Hallowell
11-29-2014, 02:56 PM
I like the unruly feather, and think you did a great job with the exposure. My only complaint about the bg is the "other" bit of red (another crab?) behind the bird. I would consider making that blend with the rocks. Very cool to get the bird with a meal! Sharon

Daniel Cadieux
11-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Fantastic pose!! I love the image a lot. Awesome expression, and great view of the feet. I do like the other red element above, but I would fill in the pale spot in the upper right corner, as ell as remove the pinkish spot near the head. Great stuff Ian!

Diane Miller
11-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Great catch -- for both of you! I really like the way the gray bird stands out from the darker gray rock. Daniel has spotted two of my nits, and in addition I think lowering the saturation or contrast of the green area, including the light tan objects there.