PDA

View Full Version : Monsoon stream

subramanya_ck
11-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Many such streams come to life in Monsoon in the Western Ghats of South India. Most of them go unnoticed.

I made this image in North Canara this monsoon.

Image Details:
Canon 17-40L (at 17mm) with Tiffen 10-stop ND Filter on Canon 5D Mark III
Joby Ball head on Gitzo tripod
Manual Exposure
f/16
61 Seconds
AWB
ISO 100

Comments & Suggestions are most appreciated

Valerio Tarone
11-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Subramania hi, I think the flow of the river and waterfall are lovely. But all the upper part(sky and trees) is distracting. I should crop them off. I'll look what others will write.

subramanya_ck
11-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Subramania hi, I think the flow of the river and waterfall are lovely. But all the upper part(sky and trees) is distracting. I should crop them off. I'll look what others will write.

Thank you Valereo...sounds a good idea. Let me work on it and repost

subramanya_ck
11-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Thank you Valereo...sounds a good idea. Let me work on it and repost

Hi a quick crop in my iPad .. Does it look better. Will work on it again tonight

Andrew McLachlan
11-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Hi Subarmanya, I dolike the crop from the top, but I also think that if you are able to lighten the trees on the left side of the comp then a crop is unnecessary. The dark trees are creating an imbalance along the top of the frame with the brighter sky, if you can balance them a little better I think this scene will work as is. Look forward to another repost.

Don Railton
11-27-2014, 11:27 PM
Hi Subarmanya,

When I first looked at this I felt there was something not right and I think Andrew has put his finger on the problem. I think there is an imbalance because there is a dark side and a light side to the image and my eye does not flow over the whole image easily. Of the two I prefer the OP but I agree with Andrew that the trees LHS could do with a little more lightening to add detail and to balance things up. (be aware I might change my mind if you make these changes..:S3:) I also think you could do with a little clockwise rotation. The Waterfall looks low on the left side. Love to get back to India again..

regards

DON

subramanya_ck
11-28-2014, 02:26 AM
Hi Subarmanya, I dolike the crop from the top, but I also think that if you are able to lighten the trees on the left side of the comp then a crop is unnecessary. The dark trees are creating an imbalance along the top of the frame with the brighter sky, if you can balance them a little better I think this scene will work as is. Look forward to another repost.

Thank you Andrew... I played a bit with Curves and tried to bring more details in those shadow areas around the left corner of the picture. Also adjusted the magenta cast in shadows and removed the banding noise using Topaz Denoise. I hope this is looking a little better now. Please share your views..

Hi Subarmanya,

When I first looked at this I felt there was something not right and I think Andrew has put his finger on the problem. I think there is an imbalance because there is a dark side and a light side to the image and my eye does not flow over the whole image easily. Of the two I prefer the OP but I agree with Andrew that the trees LHS could do with a little more lightening to add detail and to balance things up. (be aware I might change my mind if you make these changes..:S3:) I also think you could do with a little clockwise rotation. The Waterfall looks low on the left side. Love to get back to India again..

regards

DON

Don, thank you for your inputs on the overall shadow distribution of the piture and the tilt. Hope this repost have addressed these issues. Kindly share your views.

Don Railton
11-28-2014, 05:02 AM
Hi Subarmanya,

Your 2nd repost is now a lot warmer in colour than the Original Post. Was this intended?? My repost of your image shows more of what I was thinking. I have lightened the LHS and applied 0.9 degree or clockwise rotation. What do you think..??

DON

subramanya_ck
11-28-2014, 05:08 AM
Hi Subarmanya,

Your 2nd repost is now a lot warmer in colour than the Original Post. Was this intended?? My repost of your image shows more of what I was thinking. I have lightened the LHS and applied 0.9 degree or clockwise rotation. What do you think..??

DON

Hi Don,

Thank you for your time in working on the image. Your repost looks pretty good with brightened tree on the left side. Definitely looks lot better.

Yes, I intentionally made my repost a bit warmer. Does it spoil the mood of the image ?

Don Railton
11-28-2014, 05:18 AM
I think the green on the FG rock (especially.. ) are a bit over saturated in your last post and I prefer the original post colours, but only you were there and its your call on how you choose to present your scene..

regards

DON

Diane Miller
11-29-2014, 01:52 PM
This is a very nice scene that can be successful with several different interpretations. I like what Don did with the lightning and rotation.

The greenish tint in pane 7 is interesting. An alternate version could be to change the dominance of the reds in the FG, using Hue-Sat (Reds Hue to +8), or Selective Color on just reds can do essentially the same thing with a few more sliders to move.

Andrew McLachlan
12-01-2014, 08:09 PM
My preference is for Don's repost