PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley Moonrise

Diane Miller
11-26-2014, 02:55 PM
From Mesquite Dunes, a couple of weeks ago. Canon 5D3, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 at 200, f/8, 1/500 at ISO 400. Tripod. Basic minimal LR processing and into PS for some NR (Nik Dfine) and color and tonal fidgeting. The air was pretty murky so color wasn't spectacular.

dankearl
11-26-2014, 10:31 PM
The moon looks great, I think a bit of crop off the bottom would look good.
Why NR at ISO 400?
Since you used a tripod, why not ISO 100?
Sort of puzzling techs......

Diane Miller
11-26-2014, 10:57 PM
"Some" NR because it maximized IQ (very subtly) after bringing up tonalities. (The atmosphere was murky and the hills and especially that moon were very flat.) ISO 400 because I was in soft sand and needing to get enough DOF at a safe SS to get a decent moon. And working fast after slogging to the top of a dune for a clear view. The moon was barely visible to the eye and caught us somewhat by surprise. The Ephemeris doesn't compensate for one's location in the actual terrain.

ISO 100 = 1/125. Likely more marginal than ISO 400, under the circumstances.

Don Railton
11-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Hi Diane

You have beat me to the punch..! I was planning a 'moon set' image but the weather has not been suitable. I like this, especially the reds and the detail on the hill side. You have done well to hide the murk... I do agree with Dan about a small crop of the bottom, the flat country in the immediate foreground are pulling the image back a little I feel..

regards

DON

Diane Miller
11-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Looking forward to seeing yours, Don! Will be interested to hear more opinions about the "foreground". I cropped out the top of some tonally very flat dunes but wanted to leave some hint of a lead-in to the mountains. That base also establishes a level line, as the seemingly flat area above it in the the right half is sloped down to the right. It would need an image rotation if it were all that established a "horizon."

Maybe it could use a gradient burn at the bottom.

Don Railton
11-27-2014, 01:41 AM
Yes, think you are right.. if it were not as dark/heavy in that shadow then I think that would help, even better than a crop....

Andrew McLachlan
11-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Hi Diane, nice moon set. My only suggestions is an exact opposite to the bottom crop. I actually like the foreground in shadow, but yes a bit of a gradient burn may help it a bit. I am in favor of a small crop off the top.

Diane Miller
11-29-2014, 01:40 PM
I did some adjustments to the shadow, with the lighter area of flatter ground right at the bottom darkened to match the area above it. After balancing that lighter area, lightening the whole shadow didn't work as well, for me. I also liked Andrew's idea of taking a little off the top.

Don Lacy
11-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Hi Diane the repost is the why to go, love the subtle colors

Dvir Barkay
11-29-2014, 09:41 PM
agree with the slight crop. Very nice shot, love that place!