PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Jacana #2

gail bisson
11-25-2014, 05:11 AM
canon 1 DX
600mm II and 2x extender
SS 1/1000 F 9.0 ISO 1250
PP: Crop to pano, usual LR sliders, NR to BG, levels, increased saturation in blues, DE to bird at 4 % and USM to JPEG.
Comp was tricky as I wanted to include the pretty leaves on the right and the entire lily pad but will appreciate your thoughts. I didn't want to move the bird lower in the frame because of messy BG above my crop line.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

keith mitchell
11-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Difficult situation Gail, have just tried it with just a sliver off the top of your pano crop taking out a little of the dark green, just a thought. It's an image that more than holds it own, grand shot.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
11-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Nice shot, using the crop you already have I would recrop making less at the bottom more at the top ( i.e. moving the image down) and then fill in with Content Aware.

Bill Dix
11-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Another great shot of a wonderful bird. There are times when centering the subject seems to be the right thing to do, and this is one of them. I played with some browser cropping, cutting off right side to just above the B in your name, and it makes a nice image; or alternatively, cropping out just the large right leaf but leaving the whole lily pad. But neither is as good as your instincts have produced. Your hard work has paid off again.

Jim Crosswell
11-25-2014, 11:20 AM
I like the pano crop, pose, setting and details. Nice image Gail. I did a version using Jonathan's suggestion to use content scale awareness. I hope you don't mind.

John Robinson
11-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Another nice one gail
I would go for your OP with a slice off the right . Still it would do me adequately.
Lovely shot.
John

Stu Bowie
11-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Hi Gail, comp works perfectly for me, as Im glad you captured the entire lily pad with the Jacana enjoying his walk. Again, the colours stand out in the soft light, together with the plumage.

Missing Africa Yet? :w3

William Dickson
11-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Lovely image Gail. I like how the brilliant colours of the bird show out from the BG. Well done

Geoffrey Montagu
11-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Moment captured precisely, Gail. Love how we can sense the lily pad being depressed and the other foot rising showing its large size. I think your crop gives a bit more open feel. Well done.

Geoffrey

gail bisson
11-25-2014, 06:38 PM
I like the pano crop, pose, setting and details. Nice image Gail. I did a version using Jonathan's suggestion to use content scale awareness. I hope you don't mind.
Hi Jim,
I don't mind at all . I love it when people mess with my pics. I am always looking to improve and I like the little bit of extra canvas on top.
Thank you,
Gail

Jim Crosswell
11-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks Gail there is room added in front as well but it's harder to tell. The same amount of room was added in front and up top.