PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stork incoming!

Dan O'Leary
05-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Taken this morning at Gatorland in Orlando. It was my first time out with the annual pass. Good times. Mike and the crew there are doing great work and the rookery is really coming in. I focused on birds in flight today, working in manual mode to try to get the hang of it. This image was a tad underexposed and the light angle is wrong but it gave me a laugh so I thought I'd share.

I hope everyone is finding some time this holiday weekend to enjoy our feathered friends.

2008:05:25 09:46:44
1dm3 @ 500mm
Manually set at 1/1600 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400

Arthur Morris
05-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Love the feet. Adding flash at zero can really help with flight images like this. EXP well handled.

Steve Maxson
05-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Great pose and good sharpness. The splayed out legs and feet are wonderful. Very well done.

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey Dan,
Popping some fill flash in on this one as Artie suggested would definitely have helped. Do like the position of the body.........but not crazy about the head. As ugly/akward/clumsy looking as these guys are..........they are one of my favorites.

Robert O'Toole
05-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Good job on the exposure and the focus is right on. Love the feet and the bit or peach color under the wings.

I dont think they are Ugly. awkward or clumsy at all Roman :) They ride the thermals up and drop straight down without a single flap. Here the bird is parachuting and using his tail and feet to steer, the alula are out to stop keep the flow up over the wings for more lift and to prevent a complete stall.
Smart and graceful I think.

Robert

Dan O'Leary
05-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I also used to look down on Wood Storks but have really come around to them. They have great character and the white on black of the wings is very handsome. Young Wood Storks, in particular, are really quite attractive.