PDA

View Full Version : Grouse in the rain.

keith mitchell
11-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300ml 2.8
1/200@ F7.1
iso 2500.

Spent a cold wet day in a hide trying to photograph these birds in the rain, can't remember the last time that I hoped for rain on a photographic trip, did not pour down but the fine drizzle did give a nice effect I think. The sticky up feather on it's head I think was maybe down to a tussle with another male.

Thanks for looking and your comments on my last post.

William Dickson
11-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Lovely image Keith. Great POV and HA, and yes, I also think the rain gives the image a lovely effect. Very nice and thanks for sharing this

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Nice bird and good look-back pose. Nice environment and the water drops on the birds back add to the image!

gail bisson
11-23-2014, 01:30 PM
The raindrops are what make this picture!
Good DOF and nice pose.
I would tone down or burn or clone the OOF light grass that intersects on RHS of tail.
I like it!
Gail

shane shacaluga
11-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Lovely image. Loads of details and the droplets really bring this picture to life

TFS

christopher galeski
11-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Like this Kieth,good look back pose,sharp with good detail,pleasant light,like the rain drops,you did not take this in Lincolnshire:w3.TFS.

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2014, 03:52 AM
Gorgeous Keith, love everything about the image. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
11-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi Keith, great look back pose, and overall well exposed. Yep, the droplets fallen all over the feathers adds interest, and well done for sticking to your plan.

Daniel Cadieux
11-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Very pretty, and I love the look-back pose. Rainy weather images can be very successful as this image attests...I am always surprised at how very few photographers are out when it is simply sprinkling out there. I'm wondering if there is a wee bit more detail to tease out of the red patch above the eye (you can try selectively adding a bit of cyans to those reds).

Jim Crosswell
11-24-2014, 10:45 AM
I like the look back pose, water drops, setting, sharpness and composition. Well done Keith.

keith mitchell
11-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks to you all for looking and your comments and tips much appreciated. Chris we don't get a lot of these in Lincolnshire. Steve those tips are paying dividends ,thanks. Daniel I am striving to develop a style of my own with my birds in different habitats and conditions not always successful but I do try, take your point re the comb but working with a new monitor so feeling my feet a bit, may post the head as a portrait at a later date which would be a good exercise for me.Stuart after a long walk back to my car in the dark and cold I did wonder if it was worth it.Cheers Jim.
Keith.