PDA

View Full Version : Bone Pile

Nancy Bell
11-21-2014, 05:50 PM
This young polar bear climbed to the top of the whale bone pile, but not up that last piece! The bears scavenge on this huge pile in the fall until they can get on the pack ice and go out hunting for seals. Photographed in far northern Alaska in mid-September. We never saw the sun during the few days I was there.

Canon 1Dx, Canon 200-400 f4 L IS with internal 1.4, 1/500, f5.6, exp. comp. +1, ISO 2500.

C & C most appreciated.

Rachel Hollander
11-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi Nancy - He certainly seems to be thinking about climbing to the very top. I like how he is perched on the pile. Looks like his fur was wet, except of the scruff of the neck, but you did a nice job with the sharpening. I might have gone for a bit more dof to bring out more detail in the bone pile itself but overall this works.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Hi Nancy, this is a very unique and fine image that tells a story. I like the pose of the PB, the whale bone pile and you have processed it really nicely. I agree with Rachel's observations. Very well done and TFS.

Marc Mol
11-22-2014, 11:37 AM
A unique image for sure Nancy, resembling some giant funeral pyre with this PB paying his final respects, nicely seen.

TFS

Neil Burton
11-22-2014, 11:47 AM
A standout image that I reckon would work well in mono too. Love the stretched neck, like he can smell food in those ancient bones.

Mark Needham
11-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Hi Nancy -- Nicely captured here - I like the comp and detail. When were you up there? I was up there Sept 25-30 and again Oct 10-14.

Andreas Liedmann
11-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Hi Nance stunning capture !!
I would just go a little tighter concentrating on the bear and the pile . At the moment the bear does look a little lost squeezed into one corner of the frame , just my idea.
In general i like tone and color , but think the blacks are a little too strong in the shadows .

Just for illustration my RP , not thinking it is right , just to give you a different idea .

TFS Andreas

Carl Walker
11-22-2014, 01:51 PM
A moment well captured. Quite like both your framing as well as Andreas but favouring yours as it really portrays the stacking size of that pile.

Morkel Erasmus
11-22-2014, 03:57 PM
I love the graphic nature of this image, Nancy!
I'd even go for a stark monochrome as well.
I prefer the OP composition.

Nancy Bell
11-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Thank you everyone! This is only a small part of the huge bone pile! Andreas, I like your lighter version. Thanks for the example. Here is a monochrome version with a slight tint.

Mark, we were in the village of Katovik Sept 15-17. Is this where you were? I'm impressed you went twice as it is not an easy place to get to with good air visibility mandatory for the flight from Deadhorse and back.

Steve Canuel
11-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Interesting photo. Not sure if it's my subconscious thoughts pertaining to the reports of the declining numbers of these guys, but my first thoughts are bleak, barren, hunger. I prefer the tone of the OP.

Nancy Bell
11-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Steve. The status of the polar bear population is more complex that what is distilled for public consumption. They still are in big trouble and it is always hard to see animals struggling.

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Hi Nancy, love the setting and posture of the bear, they are such gorgeous animals.

Agree with Andreas, the blacks are a tad strong, but I like the 'bleached/Bypass' treatment to the image, it just works on this and for me has taking it up a notch. Opening it up has helped, but much prefer it to the sepia version too old hat and I personally don't thing it brings much to the OP.

They still are in big trouble and it is always hard to see animals struggling.

Yep, they now are adopting the same feeding habits as Grizzlies to sustain eating!

TFS
Steve

Neil Burton
11-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Sepia is a bit much for me, tone it down to almost mono, certainly the sky needs to stay white for me :)

Andre Pretorius
11-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi Nancy

Very dramatic image, never realised the size of the Whale vertebra...
Agree with bleak sky.
Stunning moment captured!!

Gabriela Plesea
11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Dear Nancy,

This is - to me- your best image to date from what I have seen, due to its dramatic content - CONGRATULATIONS!

You might have not seen the Sun during this trip but you have seen - and captured - something so unusual and so memorable... this will stay with me for some time. I like this so much, and therefore I dare suggest you try the "stark monochrome" as per Morkel's suggestion.

Well done again Nancy, hope to see more from this trip:)

Kind regards,