PDA

View Full Version : Theme Lion

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-20-2014, 10:43 PM
This was at a dried river bed at Timbavati. Used the 5D III @ 700mm FL to get close to the big male. It really helps sometimes to use a long FL to isolate the subject from the surroundings. Also helped to highlight the textures on the face.
1/500
f/6.3
ISO 800

gail bisson
11-21-2014, 08:40 AM
A nice close-up. I always like the see the curled front paws. I also like the spiky hairdo the male is sporting.
The 700mm really helps to fool the eye into thinking you were on the ground taking the shot. I think Artie calls this angle of declination!
I see a bit of a magenta cast in the foliage.
I like this comp to highlight the details in the face but I could see a version with more room on the right,
Gail
Perhaps it is my old eyes but I think the face could be sharpened a bit more.

Rachel Hollander
11-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Hi Sanjeev - a nice look at the male and the pov takes it up a notch as Gail said. If it were mine I would open up the midtones on the mane to bring out some more detail and texture there. I think Gail is correct that the nose can use a little more sharpening. I see a cyan/blue cast in both the bg and the front paws. I think the magenta is probably red grass in the bg. We saw a lot of it in the area.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
11-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Hi Sanjeev a very nice fat looking Lion Male compared to the KTP lions i have seen . But not as nice mane as " my " KTP males .
I like the pose /framing in this shot , just enough separation from the BG .
Good suggestion given by Rachel regarding tone/color.

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
11-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Some good suggestions above, Sanjeev. Nice composition and framing.
I too look forward to shooting with my 1.4x attached in the Kgalagadi soon.

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2014, 03:05 AM
Hi Sanjeev, a sliver more below I think would help the balance, but personally on this one I would have like the Lion looking to camera. Sharpness looks good to me, any more and you are in danger of going crunch and remember, you are not going to see the true resolution on screen. Agree on pulling back the Cyan & Blue see he paws, but you may find it's the Red that also needs adjusting & masking. That plus a third I think just helped open up things nicely, techs look good.

TFS
Steve