PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Boy Basin

Glenn Wheeler
01-06-2008, 10:36 PM
This is a shot from a couple of July's ago in Yankee Boy Basin near Ouray, Colorado.

It was a great year for wildflowers and there were great images to be had everywhere! This is one of my favorites (and most successful) from that portion of the trip.

Canon 1DMark II, Sigma 17-35 2.8 at 17mm

C&C Welcome

Thanks!

Glenn Wheeler
http://www.glennwheeler.com
http://www.photoroadtrips.com

Lance Warley
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I think the DoF is what makes this amazing shot so amazing.

Last July, I was fortunate to be at YBB...I still haven't gotten over my sense of awe.

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Beautiful landscape! I like it, especially the perspective.
Critically looking I have a few comments. I would clone out the projecting flower over the ridge on the left. Not sure if the lovely white bloom is dominant in the fg on the left side.
Szimi

Robert Amoruso
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks Glenn for posting. I have been waiting for someone to post one of these extreme DOF flower FG/mountain BG shots. Not too make it sound like a cliche, its just that they are so cool. In such instances, knowing your exposure would be a great help as DOF is so influenced by f/stop.

I agree with cloning the flower Szimi mentions. The blue flower in the lower left appears to be at a ROTs powerpoint so that good.

Gayle Clement
01-07-2008, 01:29 PM
This is beautiful, Glenn. You've made me add another place to my must-visit list. Terrific DOF and a really awesome scene.

D. Robert Franz
01-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Lovely image here. Makes me want to fight the hordes and get back there some day. No major nits, I like the placement of the the FG columbine on the lower left power point, very strong...

Jason Hahn
01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
With so much to look at, images like this can sometimes seem busy, but not in this case. I think you did a great job composing the image so it carries your eye throughout the image, the flowers are beautiful, and perfectly frame the distant peaks. No nits for me other then the minor flower above the ridge already mentioned, excellent image.

Jason

Glenn Wheeler
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone! I have always had a little problem with that projecting flower too and have considered removing it several times. The only real reason I don't is that I have sold that image as-is so many times. Not that I think removing would hurt sales, I just think it would be strange to do it now... Prints of that shot hang in several states and it has been published a few times.

In my earlier post I forgot to mention the rest of the specs. That was shot at 1/10 second at f/16, 100 ISO, manual focus using a hyperfocus chart. I processed it twice (for the sky and foreground) and blended manually....