PDA

View Full Version : Theme High ISO lion

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-18-2014, 12:27 PM
This was at Timbavati, it was late evening and we saw two lions have their fill at a AB carcass & turned to find some water. It was after sun down and this male crossed right in front of us. You can see the saliva/froth at the lip. I used the 7D and 70-200 2.8 II @ 135mm. I was quiet happy the way the 3200 ISO shot on 7D processed with care gave a decent result! Now am itching for the 7D II! Reduced the magentas but the low light and the red soil BG gives it that slight colour cast I guess.
1/60
f/2.8
ISO 3200
Hand held.:bugeyed:

Shantanu Ambulgekar
11-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Awesome Sanjeev. Fantastic image. Can you please tell us how did you manage to reduce noise on Lion ?

Regards,
Shantanu

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-19-2014, 02:01 AM
Hi Shantanu, NO NR was applied on the Lion. I normally use the ETTR technique to bet the most out of the high ISO and low light images to reduce noise. I applied NR only to the BG.

Tobie Schalkwyk
11-19-2014, 05:38 AM
No negatives indicative of high ISO's here Sanjeev, so well done with the PP! Great clear facial expression of a cat in its prime, shot in one of our favourite reserves here in Southern Africa!

Morkel Erasmus
11-19-2014, 06:45 AM
You did well handheld at 1/60 here Sanjeev! High ISO shot processed nicely as well, kudos :5
Some noise evident in the mane and darker patches of fur, to be expected with the 7D for sure, and also the softness of the snout given the slow SS and handheld shooting.

Rachel Hollander
11-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Nicely done at low ss and high ISO. I think I recognize this guy and that we saw him and the male he travels with quite a bit.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi Sanjeev, would echo Morkel's comments, but those eyes...

TFS
Steve

Neil Burton
11-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Not sure I ever saw a 7D shot so clean, nice work. The eyes are the cream on the cake!

Andreas Liedmann
11-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi Sanjeev a super clean 7D frame for that high iso , specially the techs given :cheers:, is there a Rachel competitor for the 7D born ?
A nice side portrait with a good head angle .
Only the eyes do look a bit overdone to me , specially the left one as viewed , reminding of glass eyes in the museum .

I have not been to that place , but the red color /tone is looking a bit unnatural to me . Are the teeth that red ? i just thinking out loud , maybe i am completely wrong Sanjeev . The guys who has been there should know better .
The reds with the tendency to magenta reminding of a slide film i used in the past , Kodak Ektachrome 100 VS .

TFS Andreas

Shantanu Ambulgekar
11-20-2014, 06:58 AM
what is ETTR Technique ?
Can you please kindly explain ?

Regards,
Shantanu Ambulgekar.

Neil Burton
11-20-2014, 07:11 AM
what is ETTR Technique ?
Can you please kindly explain ?

Regards,
Shantanu Ambulgekar.

Expose to the Right Shantanu. Basically there is more information, twice as much, on the right hand side of the histogram which allows greater flexibility in processing.