PDA

View Full Version : Circling Puffin

Gayle Clement
05-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I watched several puffins display this behavior, circling in place in the water.
This conservation center is fascinating. It has a very large two story aquarium and one can go to the lower floor to watch the feeding activity of the puffins and murres under water.

I couldn't decide whether to put this in Out of the Box or Hand of Man. I liked the unconventional look of this one, the way that the bird seems to merge with the shadows.

Spotlight from above
Alaska Widllife Conservation Center
Seward, AK
Nikon D2X
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8
1/1250s@ f/2.8
-1.7 EV

Desmond Chan
05-25-2008, 09:36 AM
I like the lighting and the sharpness of the head, but some may find part of the bird merges too much to the background.

Lana Hays
05-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Gayle
I like the composition on this one. I, too like how the bird merges with the shadows but on my monitor it may be a tad too dark. I'm thinking it could be lightened just a bit and still achieve the same feel. Of course......my monitor tends to show images dark.

Stephen Stephen
05-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Gayle,

I like this one. I might have wishes for a touch more brightness in the eye as it's partly in shadow but this would still be a keeper for me.

Grady Weed
06-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Gayle, whatever you decide to do with the dark shadows and merging bird, frame it, hang it, and then submit this one to a publication! I love it. PM me please with the details on the place you shot it will you? Sounds like a place I need to go too.

Tom Callahan
06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I think this is a gorgeous unconventional image. The head is tack sharp and the darkness lends mystery to the photo.