PDA

View Full Version : Crosseyed Potoo

shane shacaluga
11-17-2014, 02:34 AM
Whilst night trekking in the Peruvian jungle last month, I was scoping out insects with a headlamp. In the distance on a branch at the side of the trail we noticed what appeared to be a flashing light. At first we thought it was a small LED light the natives used to guide themselves through the path but on closer inspection we realised it was actually a whacky looking bird

First we believed it to be some sort of Owl, then a nightjar of some description, but following morning one of the tribal people confirmed it was a lesser or common Potoo

I had my macro gear with me so removed the extension tube from my 50mm and proceeded to get as close as possible to take a good shot.

D800e
50mm f1.8
f6.3
1/30
ISO 2000
Onboard flash fired

Large crop and standard PP. Darkened pupils by removing luminosity from a colour saturation layer. Removed some red painted letters from the perch

Thanks for commenting

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-17-2014, 10:39 AM
The eyes of these birds are amazing! the typical alert pose and you manage to get a good shot despite the difficulties. It is not easy to get good results when one shoots birds at night but I would say you came out with a good one.

Bill Dix
11-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Congratulations. These are incredibly tough birds to find, even more so to photograph. I'm not really crazy about his choice of perch, but the Potoo looks great, especially those eyes.

Stu Bowie
11-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi Shane, a bird I havent seen before, and how are those eyes - quite haunting. Great flashwork, and the Potoo really stands out from the night BG. Moving to your left, would you not have achieved a cleaner BG?

gail bisson
11-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Love the story behind this sjot!
Looks great for a flash/night shot.
I do wish for a nicer perch but understand that Mother Nature is the boss and decides where these guys perch!:S3:
Gail

shane shacaluga
11-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Thanks for your comments guys.

Stuart the main concern for me at the time was to get a good sharp shot before the potoo disappeared. I had never used the 50mm lens for this type of shot so was playing it by ear and checking the results on the camera screen every couple of shots. I underexposed a few times and reduced the shutter speed as much as i dared to capture this. The potoo flew off very soon after i got this image into the pitch black jungle. There was thick vegetation everywhere so not sure if moving would have lit up some other foliage in the BG.