PDA

View Full Version : Dead Horse Point Pano

Don Lacy
11-16-2014, 07:50 PM
I just got back from Moab the other day and this is my first ever attempt at doing a pano image. This is a seven image stitch from Dead Horse Point as the first light of day filled the valley below a truly beautiful scene and awe inspiring experience. Please let me know how it looks and if there is anything i could improve on

Canon 6D, 70-200 f/4 at 70, all images where shot at 1/40s at f/10, Manual mode, ISO 400, tripod of course, images merged in PS and my usual dodging and burning and contrast tweaks

Don Railton
11-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Hi Don

This looks great... Wonderful rich reds and lots of retained detail in the FG/ shadows areas while not cooking the sunlight areas.. My only comments is that it looks low on the RHS, not saying it is, but its just my perception. Its probably triggered by that sloping line of 'river flats' just below the sunlight area mid image.. Surprised to hear you say its you first (I presume stitched) Pano..

regards

DON

dankearl
11-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Nice stitch Don, knowing the area, I may have included more to the left...
Beautiful SW color.

Don Lacy
11-17-2014, 10:17 PM
[/QUOTE]I may have included more to the left...[/QUOTE]
Thats as far left as I could go from the point I had hiked out to any more and it's a solid canyon wall which was lit up beautifully the evening before.
Thanks for the replies

Dave Mills
11-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi Don, Good job on the pano with beautiful light. Glad you minimalized a very uninteresting sky. I wonder how this would have looked with a bit more light on the lower rocks?

Morkel Erasmus
11-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Very nicely done on your first stitch, Don! I agree it seems to be sloping down on the RHS - did you do distortion correction at all when merging?
Colour and contrast looks nice overall.
I wonder if you could have moved more to your left to have that spire on the RHS inside the BG shadowed canyon wall for more "separation"?

Dvir Barkay
11-20-2014, 06:48 PM
very nice, their is distortion on the right hand side, this happens to me a lot in the rare occasions that I do panos, so I can't really help with how to correct that.

Andrew McLachlan
11-23-2014, 11:18 AM
A beautiful scene Don, well composed and stitched too...I agree that it looks as if it could use a touch of distortion correction.